I think I got it..

I hope you don't mind me editing your original.

Christinaunedited.jpg

Straightened the doorframe.
I modified the hue and saturation on the yellow channel to get rid of the hot spot on the cheek camera right which also subdued the background which was a bit of a distraction to me.
I softened the face a bit (this was unnecessary but I usually do this to my portraits).
Dodged the hair a bit to bring out that great reddish kicker light.
Sharpened the eyes.
Spot healed 3 pieces of lint.
Changed the hue of the lines on the shirt as they were very distracting.

We can check the exposure value of skin highlights pretty accurately using Photoshop's Info panel, the cursor, and/or the Color Sampler tool.

To open the Info panel, on the Application menu bar click on Window > Info. The Color Sampler tool is one of the Eyedropper tool choices on the Tool bar.

I'm not sure about Elements, but CS5 lets me place up to 4 color sampler spots, plus displaying the values for whatever color is under my cursor. In the Tool Options panel the number of pixels sampled can be chosen and I had mine set to average 5x5 pixels.

I strive to have caucasian skin highlights between 235 and 240 in the red channel. In your unedited photo you can see from the color samplers I have placed on some of the skin highlights they are brighter than that with sample #1 at R=254, #2 R=253, #3 R=254, and #4 R=250. Note that under my cursor, the tip of her nose is R=239.

InfoPanel-1.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the input... Here's the unedited picture. This picture was taken in the shade and I did not use any additional lighting. It's probably my heavy hand and the brightness button. Does the original picture still look overexposed?

Original is far better!! :)

We can check the exposure value of skin highlights pretty accurately using Photoshop's Info panel, the cursor, and/or the Color Sampler tool.

To open the Info panel, on the Application menu bar click on Window > Info. The Color Sampler tool is one of the Eyedropper tool choices on the Tool bar.

I'm not sure about Elements, but CS5 lets me place up to 4 color sampler spots, plus displaying the values for whatever color is under my cursor. In the Tool Options panel the number of pixels sampled can be chosen and I had mine set to average 5x5 pixels.

I strive to have caucasian skin highlights between 235 and 240 in the red channel. In your unedited photo you can see from the color samplers I have placed on some of the skin highlights they are brighter than that with sample #1 at R=254, #2 R=253, #3 R=254, and #4 R=250. Note that under my cursor, the tip of her nose is R=239.

InfoPanel.jpg

This is awesome..I was wondering how I'm supposed to know what her skin tones should be. I checked Elements and it does have this option, so I'll read up on it. Thank you!! :)

There was a series of videos from a guy whose name escapes me that used a similar by-the-numbers technique. Instead of RGB he uses CMYK and has a certain CMY ratio he shoots for for certain skin tones. It's a great way to do it, especially if you are inexperienced at editing and/or are on an uncalibrated monitor. I used to use it quite a bit but nowadays I just eyeball it.

I have an awesome 5 part tutorial from clickingmoms forum on skin tone by the numbers. I will send it to you if you want it. It's been really helpful!!

I have an awesome 5 part tutorial from clickingmoms forum on skin tone by the numbers. I will send it to you if you want it. It's been really helpful!!

Megan, if you can.. post a link to that for everyone! :)

Here are are couple of links I have:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93363

http://www.becoming-mom.net/2010/02/03/skintones-by-the-numbers-photoshop-tutorial/

http://www.graphicconnectionkc.com/skin-tone-correction.html

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2007/05/tip-day-skin-tones-numbers

http://digitalphotographer.com.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=12288

Last edited:
I want to add that the maximum value any of the 3 color channels can be is 255, and that at any value over 250 a channle is essentially clipped (blown out). Clipped means there is no detail that can be seen.

I don't think Its worth paying for. It's not bad but not what i thought it would be. I was just planning on the 7 week trial but I forgot and ended up with 6 months. There aren't that many tutorials on there - which is what I wanted to check out.

They say "Clickin Moms has become a booming but close-knit community of over 8000 members.
65% of our members are professional photographers, and 35% are either aspiring professionals or passionate hobbyists.", and it's $50 a year. CMPro is $100 a year. Lifetime is $195. $30 for 6 months.

65% of 8000+ = 5200. So 5200 x $100 a year = $520,000.00+
35% of 8000+ = 2800. So 2800 x $50 a year = another $140,000+
CHA - CHING!
That's $640,000+ per year

Someone is making some serious money off of that web site.

Do they also have advertising (more money!) on the site?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back