I think I just uncomplicated my lens situation

PatrickHMS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hmscoatings.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For awhile now, I have had a really heavy camera bag, with two bodies, and full of lenses (as many as 7-8 of them), along with all the other stuff one keeps in their gadget bag. Think I may have come up with a solution that would downsize my lens collection, and still work for me without my giving up anything but # of lenses.

I shoot with a D80 and happy with it (would probably buy a D5000 for the sensor before I would ever spend the money for a D90), wife likes to shoot a D40, mostly in auto mode, but she has a good eye for composition and gets her share of really nice shots. She should never need or want any more than a D40.

The other day I tried out a Tamron 17-50mm constant f/2.8, and a Tamron 18-250mm (the one that Noyze likes so much, but his is Sigma). Both have motors so they will AF with the D40 as well as on the D80.

Really liked them for the time I tried them, so I am pretty much ready to buy, or trade for same lenses from someone here on TPF or somewhere else.

I really think I like the Tamron better than I do my Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8.

So, once I sell (or trade) my Nikon 18-55mm kit lens, my Nikon 55-200mm VR, my Sigma 18-50mm constant f/2.8, my Sigma 20mm f/1.8, and my extra Nikon 50mm f.1.8 ~

I would pretty much have the two Tamron lenses paid for, surely with some money left over.

Would have the entire focal length I now have still covered, plus I would gain coverage from 200-250mm that I don't have right now. And I would pick up a faster aperture in the short focal length range.

Even if I kept a 50mm f/1.8 and a 35mm f/2.0 I would still be down to only four lenses, shouldn't need anymore for what I normally shoot.

I was hesitant to sell the kit lenses, but with the two Tamrons, I probably would never use them.

Hhhhhmmmmmmm...

Last edited:
I believe Noyze (his old forum name) has the Sigma 18-250mm OS instead of Tamron. And the Tamron version that has the VC is the 18-270mm instead of the 18-250mm.

But I think both are very close in terms of quality. Here is a comparison of the lenses.

Juza Nature Photography

I used to carry more lenses with me in the past. But now, I usually only pack 2 to 3 lenses with 1 body and a flash. There are times that I will pack a little more such as when I am at the Zoo.

So now, I pack my bag base on what I planning to do. For daily walk around, I will pick the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 with either a 100mm f/2.8 macro or 85mm f/1.8. If I going to take some landscape pictures, I will bring along with the 14mm F/2.8

As I said before, I will pack more when I am in the zoo. Most likely I will end up with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 100mm f/2.8 macro (there is a butterfly house in the zoo here), 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and sometimes I may pack the 85mm as well if I want to take some portrait type photos with my family.

At one point, I also want to buy a super zoom lens so that I can just carry one lens. But later on once I realized that I do not take a lot of photos with a longer focal length so I just save that money for something else. And that is why I usually just walk around the Tamron 17-50mm with one prime. (14mm or 85mm or 100mm)

I'm down to 3 lenses myself:
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 (HSM Macro version)
Sigma 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 HSM
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM

My most used lenses are the 18-50 and 70-200. Basically I have my needs covered in 2 lenses with the 18-250 being my pack light lens for trips to the zoo, etc. I love that lens, it's incredible - but ever since I got the 70-200 I rarely use it.

I had the Tamron 17-50 and returned it within a week as it would constantly drop it's 'connection' with my camera and I'd have to power off/power on for it to focus again.

I know there are a lot of Sigma haters, but I'm 100% satisfied as you can tell.

I'm down to 3 lenses myself:
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 (HSM Macro version)
Sigma 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 HSM
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM

My most used lenses are the 18-50 and 70-200. Basically I have my needs covered in 2 lenses with the 18-250 being my pack light lens for trips to the zoo, etc. I love that lens, it's incredible - but ever since I got the 70-200 I rarely use it.

I had the Tamron 17-50 and returned it within a week as it would constantly drop it's 'connection' with my camera and I'd have to power off/power on for it to focus again.

I know there are a lot of Sigma haters, but I'm 100% satisfied as you can tell.

Yeah, I hear the jokes about the acronym for Sigma too, just kinda thought the Tamron felt better, but I could do the came thing with Sigma as I could with Tamron, and I already have a start.

I have a Sigma 20mm f/1.8, and although I am offering it for sale or trade, it is a nice lens.

Your third lens, would also be my third choice, I had a Sigma 70-210mm f/2.8 APO a year or so ago, but someone offered me a price I couldn't refuse for it, and I haven't replaced it yet.

Those three (which would work on ANY Nikon body), and a 50mm f/1.8 and a 35mm f/2 and I think I'd be done with lenses.

I STILL have trouble with your new name, I like your old one better...lol

Yeah, I like the old one better too.

I don't think you can go wrong really... Lots of happy users on both sides.

Last edited:
I thought this thread was gonna be about winning the lottery. :(

Well, I love my Tamron 17-50 AND I love my several Sigma lenses ...

I have a 80-200 Tamron, and I personnally think its pretty awful! But it works well enough with my D5000. I'm thinking about splashing out on a D90 though. I wouldn't recommend the D5000 to anyone that knows what they are doing with cameras.

I am a sigma lover. Used a few diff Tamrons and have not been happy with them.
Im picking up the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM II next.

Why would you trade a 55-200 VR to get a 18-250. The 55-200 is much better and will not have any barrel distortion issues that so commonly plague the 18-250 zooms.
If you have a sigma 18-50 why do you want to trade. Just trying to shake things up? The sigma is better IMO.

If I was in your position I would keep the Sigma 18-50, the 55-200 VR, and the primes. I would ditch the 18-55 and your extra 50 f/1.8.

I love my Sigma 18-50. I've never used the 55-200 VR, but while a slow lens, it gets good reviews. Even the hateful Ken Rockwell likes it. :lol:

After owing the Nikon 18-200mm (first version), I would never get an all-in-one again. I sold it over the summer and am glad it's gone. It's good for what it is, but a lens with an 11x zoom range has some serious optical drawbacks. If you want something longer than 200mm, I would look at other choices (Nikon 70-300mm VR comes to mind).

The only thing I don't like about my Sigma 18-50 is the reverse zoom ring, but I got used to it. Oh, and the fact that it doesn't go to f/1.4. :lol:

Somehow this morning, when I had been up for 36 hours, and typed out the OP, everything made perfect sense in what must have been a brain-dead moment.

All I was focusing on was getting fewer lenses, and getting an extra 50mm of focal length (extend current 200mm to 250mm).

When I came to my senses, much of what I OP'ed didn't make logical sense at all.

So, I am keeping my 18-55mm, you can't find a better lens in that focal range for $70.00, makes it good for use on a second camera or as a backup lens.

And I am keeping my Nikon 55-200mm VR as well.

The Sigma ain't going anywhere. Significant malfunction or not.

Guess that I will just have to keep hefting a heavy camera bag with lots of lenses in it.

The Sigma 20mm f/1.8 can go, so can a couple of Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 lenses, as I have accumulated several of them.

I already had a Nikon 18-200mm VR, and I hated it!

Maybe get the Nikon 70-300mm like someone mentioned above, for the extended focal lenth range. I know that the VR is the better lens,

or maybe look for another Sigma APO 70-210mm f/2.8. I had one a year or so ago, but someone offered me a krazy price for it so I sold it.

So after everything I posted in this thread, I end up with the same setup I already have, with maybe +/- one lens.

All this for naught.

sigh...

Last edited:
i'd def bill willing to buy one of your nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 lenses as ive been looking to buy one :D

Most reactions

Back