I think I made a bad choice.

bantor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jrcreations.bravehost.com
Well I went out and bought a Nikon D50. And after buying it I ahve taken about 250 shots. Everything seemed to be fine, but I still don't think the quality compares to the Canon 350D. Not in the layout of the picture, but in the quality of image. I got sucked into the D50 by the sales dude who uses... you guessed it a Nikon.

The problem I am having is this: I think i Would be happier with the Canon 350D, but it is just to darned small for my stupid fat hands, and the fact that I am not sure if they would take the memory card back, the rest I know they would but the card was like 130$(canadian). Oh and there is the fact that the camera is like 130 some ought dollors more, which would bring my total to like 1260$!!! and that is alot of cash.

I am at a loss, what do you all think?

Dude, stop and think, are you really unhappy with the cam? If so, take it back and eat the loss. Get what is comfortable to you and what makes you feel good about taking pics. You need to feel comfortable, or you will always have a nagging feeling.I don't use either brand, so I am unbiased in the opinion. I use Konica Minolta just so you know.

Thanks Kelox. I am terrible at these big decisions. I always get all confident that I made the right choice, then my confidence falls away (in this case due to the fact that the Canon is overwhelmingly more popular than the Nikon) and I think I made the wrong choice. Then i go back to the store, do the exchange, then find out I don't really Like the other as much as the first. Stupid stupidness.

I have looked at TONS of sample pictures, and I seem to like the Canon ones so much better, that may simply be due to the photographer and post proccessing ability, but I don't know.

whether it's a N or C, make sure you like how it feels in you hands.

as for the d50; i shoot one regularly and feel i recieve excellent results.

good luck!

That's what I mean. You need to buy what makes you feel good about taking pics. If the Canon seems better, then that may be for you. I'd say look at both. Go to the store and feel both. Then decide. It's not a popularity contest, contrary to what most people think. A lot of you confidence comes from how you feel about your equipment. If you are using a camera you have no confidence in, then you are more prone to get bad results. Conversely, if you use a camera that you feel good about and have confiidence in, you will take better pics. Now, know that better is relative to your level of experience. As you do more your level will increase. As your level increases you will become better at taking pics and will be well on your way to being able to use a more varied assortment of equipment and still be competent at photography. Now please remeber, I am not in anyway a professional photographer, just someone who had benefited from hanging out here. You will learn tons from the folks here at TPF. Don't worry about asking questions, they are more than happy to help.

I think I will go to the store again this weekend and just hold the 350D for a while, see if the ergonimics are simply a matter of getting used to.

I really appreciate the help, TPF and all its various peoples have been an unbeleivable asset to me in my photography journey thus far.

HAHA! I would LOVE to get both, but I just don't have the money, and if I did then there is no dount that I would go for like the Canon 20D. That is another thing that effects my desicion. I really like where canon is going, like I said if I had the extra $ I would get a Canon. Well I think I have just answered my own woes, I am a Canon man at heart, trying to battle that is a loosing battle, or so it would seem.

I got sucked into the D50 by the sales dude who uses... you guessed it a Nikon.
That's annoying. Trouble is, people will always try to tell you their view is right and it's the same with camers. It's fun to watch from the sidelines but not when you get caught up in it.

Is it too late to take it back and exchange it for the Canon? If you think you'd be happier with it.

Or, like kelox said, get the Minolta instead. </not biased> </not biased> </not biased at all...> :mrgreen:

I thot the 350D was too small as well...that's why I got the vertical grip to go with it. Makes a load of difference and it's not very expensive. Think I paid $170 CDN for it.

bantor said:
HAHA! I would LOVE to get both, but I just don't have the money, and if I did then there is no dount that I would go for like the Canon 20D.

Two words... "Second Mortgage"

:lmao:

Seriously, i bought a Nikon Coolpix 4300 for $400 a few years ago, i was HIGHLY disappointed. Buyer's remorse bigtime, i vowed i would wait until I could afford a DSLR before wasting any more money on something that i didn't want. I researched a lot and decided on the 20D, spent a year wanting and finally just broke down and put it into my HELOC... now I can pay it off over the next 30 years :confused:. I don't even care, it's worth it to have the camera that makes you happy...

Hey JonK, were all the pictures on your site taken with a 350D?

I think that I will just buck up and pay what I have to to be happy, I mean I am spending alot of cash as it is, plus I will be spending ALOT of my time with the camera so I had best be very very happy with what I have I guess.

I agree with JonK. Get the battery grip. I have one for my 20D. The 20D is too small without it. It makes a huge difference in feel and weight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back