I think i may have broken my first ever camera!

You can use AF-S lenses on 35mm cameras, it's the DX lenses that you can't..or probably don't want to.

My 24-120 VR is AF-S and I was using it on an F100 just yesterday and got beautiful results.

If Nikon use a similar system to Canon then it means it's a digital only lens. The camera you have has a smaller sensor than a full 35mm negative. That means that the lens you have isn't actually 18-135 - you see through it as the equivalent of 28-215 (approx) assuming the crop factor is 1.6.
A Nikon AF lens would fit almost every Nikon body - the AF-S is a digital only lens and will only fit Nikon digitals that aren't full frame.
I believe I'm right in saying there isn't a Nikon full frame DSLR yet?????

Couple of things wrong here, but mostly right. AF-S means that it has an autofocus motor built into the lens ("S" standing for silent wave). AF-S lenses can be used on the majority of contemporary Nikon SLRs. It is like Canon's USM (Ultra Sonic Motor). All other Nikon AF lenses (except for AF-I, "I" meaning internal) do not have autofocus motors built into the lens and operate off of a screwdrive that the camera itself operates. All Nikon SLRs have this screwdrive thing except for the D40/x. What darich is getting at about how you can't use it on digital are the DX-series lenses that are made for the DX sensors in Nikon DSLRs (like Canon's EF/EF-S where EF-S is for 1.6x crop sensors/bodies). Theoretically you can use a DX lens on a Nikon FF SLR, but you run risk of the mirror cracking on the back of the lens while installed, and/or circular vignetting. I've tried it on my secondary film SLR (a N6006) and had the latter effect.

The crop factor on Nikon DSLRs (atleast the majority of them... specifically the D80 in question) is 1.5x, that's what the DX thing is about. At this date, Nikon doesn't sell a FF DSLR although there has been talk that the D3 series may have a FF sensor.

Hope you enjoy your D80!

Couple of things wrong here, but mostly right. AF-S means that it has an autofocus motor built into the lens ("S" standing for silent wave). AF-S lenses can be used on the majority of contemporary Nikon SLRs. It is like Canon's USM (Ultra Sonic Motor). All other Nikon AF lenses (except for AF-I, "I" meaning internal) do not have autofocus motors built into the lens and operate off of a screwdrive that the camera itself operates. All Nikon SLRs have this screwdrive thing except for the D40/x. What darich is getting at about how you can't use it on digital are the DX-series lenses that are made for the DX sensors in Nikon DSLRs (like Canon's EF/EF-S where EF-S is for 1.6x crop sensors/bodies). Theoretically you can use a DX lens on a Nikon FF SLR, but you run risk of the mirror cracking on the back of the lens while installed, and/or circular vignetting. I've tried it on my secondary film SLR (a N6006) and had the latter effect.

The crop factor on Nikon DSLRs (atleast the majority of them... specifically the D80 in question) is 1.5x, that's what the DX thing is about. At this date, Nikon doesn't sell a FF DSLR although there has been talk that the D3 series may have a FF sensor.

Hope you enjoy your D80!

Thanks Jestev on clarification on the AF-S point - I assumed (wrongly) that the -S part was the same as the Canon -S part and meant digital only!
:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back