I touched a D3.

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I played with one for a few hours this weekend. My friend's father (who tends to have the model I use as a primary camera as his backup body) has a D3.

Maaaaaaaan that thing is a piece of hardware. The shutter is ridiculously fast. It's absolutely huge. He had it in the redundant write mode "just for fun".

What a monster.

Anyway, felt like sharing.

drool.
I know someone on a pit bull forum that has one of these... it makes me embarrassed to post my pictures of my dog on there. :oops:

I've used a D3 and own a D700.

Both are solid bodies, the 700 seems more dense then the D3, kind of like an F6 dense.

I personally think the D700 is a better camera because picture controls are so fast and easy to get to, IMO the ergonomics are better because it's a smaller body, so it takes up less space and has similar controls the D200 brought forward, and it has a pop up flash so I don't need an SU-800.

But if you shoot sports or do alot of PJ work, D3 all the way. 9fps, dual card slots, and a more usable grip for shooting vertically. For everything else, the D700 is just as good if not better.

I saw a guy carrying a D3 on a mountain trail when i was in Colorado, huge is an understatment. i think i might have back problems if i had to carry a body that size around my neck for hiking down a trail.

my uncle bought one eariler in the month, haven't played with his yet, but hope to sooner or later.

Yeah, honestly, the biggest thing about the D3 for me is the dual memory card writing trick. That rocks. The size and whatnot are a big deterrent. I never used the vertical grip I had on my D100 because of the size issue, so the D3 is just as irksome for that.

Aside from that, it was a pleasure to use. Nice camera.

Oddly the guy I stole it from (who is an amazing photog) had it in "auto-focus point selection mode", and auto-iso. Kinda surprising, but I guess if it's just a party full o' random people, why not?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back