I tried my hand at Senior pictures.

_gingerstocking

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
And would love to get some criticism as I may have more work coming. This was my first actual session with a person. I normally do automotive photography, but I want to expand my abilities.

Things I already noticed:

The squinting. I didn't even notice until I went to edit the photos and realized he was only squinting in some, but not others. That was the first location and I thought that was just how his eyes were. Stupid mistake.

Head spacing. I know there's some where that was a slight issue.

The highlight on the right side of the hood. Its annoying to me. Other photog friends have told me they didn't mind it. The client didn't even notice. I hate it. But the sun was strong at that location and I killed it as much as I could in post.

I know some people like to smooth out the skin. I'm personally not a fan of doing a whole lot in that area. It always looks too fake to me. I do some spot removal for acne and other minor blemishes but that's about it. That may be a downfall for me, but I haven't had any complaints so far lol.

You can find the full set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanhainstock/sets/72157634897483744/

IMG_5304 by Ryan Hainstock, on Flickr

IMG_5363 by Ryan Hainstock, on Flickr

IMG_5386 by Ryan Hainstock, on Flickr

IMG_5418 by Ryan Hainstock, on Flickr

IMG_5429 by Ryan Hainstock, on Flickr

IMG_5468 by Ryan Hainstock, on Flickr

Not too bad. Couple clipping issues. I like the edits but try to keep it more consistent and pick one of the styles and edit everything in a similar way. I dig the car pic the best but there are some blown highlights.

I also really liked the car pic. There are distortions with the angle but I am really drawn to that one for some reason!

I can't get past the railroad tracks growing out of his head in the first one.

The third one you shot down on him making his head look much bigger than it should in comparison to the rest of his body.

#4 is too tightly cropped with odd limb amputations.

#5 don't care for the angle or the B&W conversion.

#6 has some very harsh shadows on his face that could have been helped with some flash.

#2 is the strongest of the group in my opinion except for his hands being cut off.

^ No external flash is a serious downfall on my part, and I completely understand that. I need to get a setup, asap.

I've seen a lot worse than these, keep at it!
An off camera flash set-up doesn't have to cost the earth. I hear good things about Yongnuo flash and triggers, team that with a generic stand, head and umbrella and you could probably be in business for between one and two hundred $. :)

One thing that jumps out at me, is that in a few of them (1, 4 & 5), there seems to be too much room above his head in the composition, while the bottom seem cropped too tight.

The first one and the last one weren't in great light, and we can see the bad shadows on his face...but the others look pretty good.

I also really liked the car pic. There are distortions with the angle but I am really drawn to that one for some reason!

Distortion is part of rock n roll!

I've seen a lot worse than these, keep at it!
An off camera flash set-up doesn't have to cost the earth. I hear good things about Yongnuo flash and triggers, team that with a generic stand, head and umbrella and you could probably be in business for between one and two hundred $. :)

Really.. I'm going to have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up!

And everyone else, thank you for the criticism. I appreciate it!

Seniors + Railroad tracks = Peas + Carrots :D

My favorite is also the car. Just a fun, whimsical capture.

The last looks a tad yellow. That is probably my least fav of the batch.

In general, I think you did quite well and satisfied the general expectations of senior photos.

Seniors + Railroad tracks = Peas + Carrots :D

My favorite is also the car. Just a fun, whimsical capture.

The last looks a tad yellow. That is probably my least fav of the batch.

In general, I think you did quite well and satisfied the general expectations of senior photos.

I normally am not a fan of railroad tracks. Its just too typical. But there's a set of tracks local to me that aren't used, and go over a river. I thought maybe I could do something a little different and original. Didn't quite satisfy my expectations but I'm still happy with the outcome of the tracks shots.

I also liked the car photo. I know as a general rule of thumb with portraiture you shouldn't shoot below 50mm, but I wanted to give it a shot for more of a fun picture.

I will agree with the last one being a tad yellow. I believe that is more from my post processing, but still something to pay attention to.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back