I want a film camera for the sake of it.

domu221

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, so I have some Nikon DX-format digital cameras and a couple of lenses for them. I know Nikon's selling film cameras but the F6 is so expensive and the FM10 is both super ugly (like a back to the future futuristic but still looking old type of thing) and does not have autofocus.

I wanna invest some money (probably less then US$500) for a nice film camera where you can have programmable-auto and autofocus. Oh yeah, it doesn't have to be a Nikon or even have interchangable lens. Also, if it were a point-and-shoot film, it should also have flash. can u guys please help me decide?

i dont want a disposable kodak camera (even if its waterproof and has flash).

Hi guys, so I have some Nikon DX-format digital cameras and a couple of lenses for them. I know Nikon's selling film cameras but the F6 is so expensive and the FM10 is both super ugly (like a back to the future futuristic but still looking old type of thing) and does not have autofocus.

I wanna invest some money (probably less then US$500) for a nice film camera where you can have programmable-auto and autofocus. Oh yeah, it doesn't have to be a Nikon or even have interchangable lens. Also, if it were a point-and-shoot film, it should also have flash. can u guys please help me decide?

i dont want a disposable kodak camera (even if its waterproof and has flash).

Err, I think you'll find that's what's known as classic design.

Err, I think you'll find that's what's known as classic design.

Oh is that why they dont look like normal cameras... i thought its more like they wanna introduce a new design. :|

Nikon were never the prettiest of cameras, I suppose, but taste is a personal thing. I use Chinon cameras (relabelled as Revue), which are aesthetically quite pleasing, reasonably ergonomic, and, most importantly, take good photos. The ones I have don't have auto focus, though. Have you thought along the lines of the Canon EOS 50e? It might be more up your street.

look into a nikon f90 or f100

I have an f100 in absolute mint condition I will sell you for $250.00.

It has a 28-80G lens and I'll throw in some film too.

Or consider F75. Has the same firmware as F6 and as long, as you don't look at the back, you will think it's a digital. But DX lenses are no good for 24x36.

but the F6 is so expensive and the FM10 is both super ugly (like a back to the future futuristic but still looking old type of thing)

Uhm, well, if you ask me, the F6 is a bit more of an ugly thing if you compare the two ;)

But that is just a personal opinion and won't help you in your search ;)

How about a Minolta Maxum 7000? With two zooms, a 50 prime, and a Vivitar hot shoe flash.

Nikon F100 film autofocus SLRs are selling at around $195 these days, and are VERY nice AF 35mm SLR cameras. The viewfinder image is excellent.

Nikon F100 film autofocus SLRs are selling at around $195 these days, and are VERY nice AF 35mm SLR cameras. The viewfinder image is excellent.

Or consider F75. Has the same firmware as F6 and as long, as you don't look at the back, you will think it's a digital. But DX lenses are no good for 24x36.

thank you all for your replies!! I did look at a Nikon F100 since it's a Nikon and I may be able to accustom myself easier if I use a Nikon. I really wanted one til I found out that they're discontinued (yes, I just found out recently). Also, I only shoot with DX and have no plans to switch to FX so my lenses are really useless with nikon film f-mounts.

I was thinking about a 35mm film camera that's not yet discontinued and within my price limit. It doesnt hve to be SLR though but flash and autofocus should be present and a zoomable lens (detachable or built-in) is preferred.

oh yeah and...
Uhm, well, if you ask me, the F6 is a bit more of an ugly thing if you compare the two ;)
But that is just a personal opinion and won't help you in your search ;)
yeah, aesthetics probably wont help me look for a good camera except when the buttons are positioned inconveniently. But for me, I think the F6 has a way better look than the FM10. It looks like nikon's DSLR lineup w/o the colored LCD Screen.

There is nothing wrong with getting discontinued gear - I bought a couple of F/N90 bodies (N90s for me, F90 for my son) and they have been great. Some of the older, discontinued lenses are better than the current counterparts.

thanks for your reply!

i was thinking about the warranty service and the accessories i can get for it. And yeah, discontinued lesnes are better than their counterparts! But still a point and shoot would probably do for me as a starting point before i shell out thousands of US$ for a real film cam!

I was thinking about a 35mm film camera that's not yet discontinued and within my price limit.
:wink: Sooo...what you're price limit ? You have only 3 choices:
1. Vivitar 3800 - $ 200
2. Nikon FM10 - $300
3 Nikon F6 $ 2500 + I don't know how much lenses.
That's the only slrs still in production as per my knowledge. 1 and 2 are the basically same cameras in different disguises and are made by Cosina (accomplished company by itself, always making cameras for some other brands). F6 is a beast, but, probably wort it if you plan to shoot a lot transparencies and if so, you maybe right. Film is forever and always ready to be rescan, digital file is only a bunch of electrons which can go south anytime.

I was thinking about buying a film camera that's similar to a point-and-shoot one BEFORE i but a Nikon F6 or its replacement in the future. I'm not a pro; that's for sure. But I want a film camera not only to take pictures but to learn from what it can do. a point-and-shoot works fine anyway but I dont know if they still make them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back