I want a film camera for the sake of it.

But I want a film camera not only to take pictures but to learn from what it can do. a point-and-shoot works fine anyway but I dont know if they still make them.
I think no, , they don't make them anymore, but you can buy second hand for 1-20 bucks. Then what you gonna learn from P&S ?

Why won't you pick up a good used film camera? Check ebay, you could get a super solid f5 for about $2000 less than a f6

Point and shoot will teach you nothing.. IMO, that route is a waste of time and money. At this point, there aren't many film cameras that are being sold new. Used cameras are so cheap, and last for decades (vs digital's short shelf life) that it's not really worth it to buy new. You can buy a used camera, break it, buy another, and still not spend as much as a new film camera.

Nikon were never the prettiest of cameras...

LIES!!!

Last edited:
If you have a $500 budget I'd say go with a used Nikon N80 which can be had for $50-100. The remaining money can go toward a lens or two... My N80 and Nikon f/1.8D lens ($100'ish new) is easily my favorite camera setup. It's light, takes great photos, has the same "feel" as a Nikon DSLR, and its under $200 price tag means that if I break, lose, or someone steals it I won't be too upset.

Ive bought several 35mm cameras from "shutterblade" on eBay and couldn't be happier. They also have like a 30 day no questions asked return policy

If I were you I'll get a old Nikon FE. Or a Canon A1. Or a Pentax K1000......Hell just get one of each and add a Minolta SRT to the mix too!

Nikon F100 for $195. Or Canon EOS-1n for $205. zOMG--these were AWESOME cameras back in their eras!!! And now they just sit there on dealer shelves. Kick-butt 35mm film masterpieces...forlorn...sad. I would say that the Nikon has the advantage in affordable good used lenses...more lenses in more locations IMO for Nikon.

I agree Derrell with what you say, for DSLR I am a canon baby, but I think I will go with either a nikon EM or Pentax k1000 for a film camera. There is a big price difference though.

I agree Derrell with what you say, for DSLR I am a canon baby, but I think I will go with either a nikon EM or Pentax k1000 for a film camera. There is a big price difference though.
Why Nikon EM ? This is a point and shoot SLR with not much control over it. It goes in the same price range as K1000 or less.

If you want to get a film camera than get a medium format camera. Old Mamiya's are dirt cheap and make killer photographs.

Really? Because I can get get a pretty decent one for under $200, a mamiyah.

You DO want a film cam.

I use all 3 of these regularly and love old film cams.

SRW_2513.jpg

I don't think you have much control of the shutter with the EM. Of the two, the K1000 would be my choice every time.

Most reactions

Back