I want a LF camera... someday.

Samriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I'm basically quite new to photography with only 8 months of owning a dSLR and trying to shoot more than the typical snapshots. I've used the time to shoot as much as possible and I discovered I positively love photography. I've been shooting a bit of everything, trying to find my "niche", and I'm slowly progressing towards that goal. So far so good.
Now, recently I've been really wanting to do some film shooting (maybe because of some threads around here...). Don't ask me why, I just feel like going to the darkroom and developing some film. I've NEVER used film since I got interested into photography, I have NO idea how to develop film etc. Basically I'm an absolute beginner when it comes down to film. But I really feel like doing some film photography, and doing it BIG - I mean large format, no MF or 35mm film. I really enjoy slowly creating a scene, be it a still life scene or a nude, and then setting up the camera and slowly taking the shot. I somehow feel LF would really be a pleasure to work with as a change of pace to the rather dynamic digital workflow (not to say I don't like my digital workflow). I can use a darkroom for free, so I won't have to bother with making one at my (rather small) home. I also have somebody to teach my the basics of film developing.
So, here I am, thinking of how to get my hands on a LF camera. However, I find that I have a serious knowledge lack when it comes to LF, so what I basically want to ask could be summed up with the following few questions:

1. Any good entry level books on LF photography and cameras? I've seen someone mention some Ansel Adams books when talking about LF. Also, any good website about LF photography?
  2. A recommendation for a beginners 4x5 setup? As cheap as possible, used is OK (probably even a must).
  3. A recommendationf for a beginners 8x10 setup? Same conditions as above.
I hope I'll get a better idea of what I need (both money and know-how wise) to start with LF. Any advice appreciated!

Samriel: I've moved this thread to where the appropriate film-geeks will see it. :lol: Hopefully you'll get some good feedback here!

You may also want to check out these sites for more information:

APUG, an all-film site.

Large Format forum, LF discussions only.

As someone who has has her eye on a 4x5 camera for some time now, but has yet to pull the trigger (mainly the "lack of time" factor), I can feel your pain.

Go for it! :D

As way of introduction, I found 'Using the view camera' by Steve Simmons quite good. It gives you an idea of what is involved in large format photography.

This website is full of resources about the basics of LF photography and they also have a forum dedicated to LF.

I cannot recommend a set up. I am a bit in the same situation as you. One day I would like to buy an LF camera. I read a lot (and I mean a lot) about LF photography but at the moment I don't have the time nor the money to realise that dream.

Finally, just for drooling, have a look at this website. The range of LF equipment they sell is impressive and some of those cameras (such as Shen-Hao) are not so expensive (when compared to high-end dSLRs).

Thanks for moving the thread to it's proper place terri. Should've looked more for an appropriate forum. I guess I just got so overexcited I forgot how to think straight... thanks for the links too, I'll be getting down to reading them these days.

Steph, thanks for the links as well and also for the book recommendation! I'll try to find a copy around here.

Define "cheap?"

You don't want to go so cheap you end up with a crap camera that is plagued with technical problems and light leaks, it will make you hate your decision.

4x5 and 8x10 on the cheap would start with finding a Calumet Monorail camera. A 4x5 with lens can be had for around $200. You may find a whole kit even for $500 or less these days. These will also give you all of your movements front and rear. Another choice would be a Burke & James available in monorail, flat beds or press, or a Graflex if you want a press style camera with the sacrafice of rear movments and some front.

You will also need film holders, dark cloth, a solid tripod, shutter cable.....

New equipment would be Shen-hao, Tachihara, Toyo. In 4x5 new outfit you are looking at $1500-$2500

The least expensive entry and maintaining a quality setup will be 4x5, used.

Last edited:
Sorry, when I meant cheap I meant "comparatively cheap", not "crappy cheap". Basically the most economical entry level setup, without any technical problems, light leaks etc.
USD500 for a used kit sound promising, I was expecting more. How much would I need to give out for a used entry-level 8x10 setup?

I want to build one. :D

Bifurcator, since you're living in Japan as well, do you maybe know some place (online or normal store) where to get a cheap LF setup? I don't mind if it's not in Fukuoka, I'll check it up.

I want to build one. :D

I built this 8x10 for about $40, using common hardware store hardware:

DSCF7066.jpg

My 20x24 has hit a wall, due to time constraints, but things are slowing down at work and I can get back into it soon.
IMG_0394.jpg

How much would I need to give out for a used entry-level 8x10 setup?

I would expect to pay the same as for a new 4x5 setup, $1500-$2500. 8x10 monorails run around $600-$800 on their own. A used Tachihara field camera will run around $1000. If you can find one, an 8x10 Kodak Masterview will run you $1200-2000, it has become somewhat of a cult camera and has driven the price up a bit.

Most of these cameras have available reducing backs so you can shoot smaller formats and even roll film. So going with 8x10 and still being able to photograph 4x5 or 5x7 is an option for you.

The biggest help to you will be another photographer who can mentor you a bit.

Personally, I say go for the 8x10 with a reducing back, its the best of both worlds, with the draw back of probably not being able to enlarge the 8x10's but contact printing may appeal to you, especially with the release of the new Lodima paper.

Best,
JC

... especially with the release of the new Lodima paper.

Here's a link for those interested.

Good luck,
Helen

PS It might be worth adding the Chamonix 45 N-1 to the Shen-Hao, Toyo, Tachihara list of new, low-ish cost LF cameras.

Personally, I say go for the 8x10 with a reducing back, its the best of both worlds, with the draw back of probably not being able to enlarge the 8x10's but contact printing may appeal to you, especially with the release of the new Lodima paper.

Being a perspective LF beginner, I'm going to ask a question which might be quite beginnerish: Why would't I be able to enlarge the prints if I got a reducing back?:confused:

@Helen

Thanks for the link, will look into it once I get my self a LF camera.:thumbup:

EDIT: Do you know a link to the Chamonix homepage, or any other store that sells them? Can't seem to find one. Seems to be a small company of about 10 people in China, but people are giving it rather good reviews.

@epatsellis

Amazing! Can you maybe elaborate in detail what you used for it (body materials, ground glass, lens) and the cost of all the part (approximately)? And if you had some more pictures from behind of the 8x10, I'd greatly appreciate it. How long did it take you to build it? How did you figure out HOW to build it? Any specs or guides that you were following?
I probably won't be building my own, but who knows... :er:

Last edited:
Being a perspective LF beginner, I'm going to ask a question which might be quite beginnerish: Why would't I be able to enlarge the prints if I got a reducing back?:confused:

@Helen

Thanks for the link, will look into it once I get my self a LF camera.:thumbup:

EDIT: Do you know a link to the Chamonix homepage, or any other store that sells them? Can't seem to find one. Seems to be a small company of about 10 people in China, but people are giving it rather good reviews.

I'm very pleased with my Chamonix. I bought it by sending a PM to Hugo Zhang on the LF Forum - I guess that you could ask him how you would get one in Japan. I don't know of a website.

I think that what JC meant was that the drawback of 8x10 might be that you may not be able to enlarge the 8x10s, not the 4x5s - 4x5 enlargers are much more common than 8x10 enlargers. Of course scanning 8x10 is easy - a flatbed that scans very well at 1200 ppi is not difficult to find, and that will give you an excellent 32x40 print.

Best,
Helen

Thanks for the tip Helen. As I was browsing the LF forum looking for Hugo I found an announcement for their HP:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/index.html

I'd really like to get the 8x10 and experiment with contact printing, but at the price stated there it might prove to be a bit too much. On the other side, the 4x5 seems to feature a similar build but for a much friendlier price.

Most reactions

Back