I want opinions!

Hello TPF!

So I've posted a thread here maybe a couple weeks ago about choosing what to buy, and I still haven't decided I was picking between Canon and Nikon, but I was majorily in favor of Canon.

Anyways, I've decided to go with a mirror less sony camera, the sony A6000 to be exact, I love everything about it and the kit lens is already wide enough for me at the moment.

the A6300 is going to take some time to release here in my country which is sad but oh well.

anyways, so my budget was about 1600$ I'm selling my PC for it, so I'll be needing a laptop to do all my photo editing/movie editing on, so I decided to pick up a 13" Macbook pro to go with it all.

what do you guys think of it all?

Sony A6000 with kit lens
Cheap Monopod
Camera bag for about 70$
13" Macbook Pro

all costing me about 1600$
I've had an a6000, with the kit lens, for a few months now and love it. The documentation that comes with the camera is just about worthless, but there are excellent videos on line - I particularly recommend the Gary Fong Sony a6000 video - and I think you will be very satisfied by the amount of customizing that can be done with this camera. My other system is a Nikon 5100 w/ 18-55, 18-200/ 35 1.8 and 10-24, all Nikon. But the Sony is the one I grab when I'm heading out the door.

...if you need a monopod for some reason go with the cheap one, its a fn stick. Dont know why @tirediron would recommend spend 200 for one? If you need an awesome one for your job ( you shoot sports? For a living?) I would hope you wouldnt need advice here.
In point of fact, I didn't recommend the OP spend $200; what I said was, "A good one can be had for LESS ( < ) than $200. It may be a 'stick' to you, but it's also a camera support and when one spends a thousand or more dollars on the camera & lens, it doesn't make sense to me to scrimp on the appliance that you're going to use to support that thousand-dollar investment. Just my thinking...

...if you need a monopod for some reason go with the cheap one, its a fn stick. Dont know why @tirediron would recommend spend 200 for one? If you need an awesome one for your job ( you shoot sports? For a living?) I would hope you wouldnt need advice here.
In point of fact, I didn't recommend the OP spend $200; what I said was, "A good one can be had for LESS ( < ) than $200. It may be a 'stick' to you, but it's also a camera support and when one spends a thousand or more dollars on the camera & lens, it doesn't make sense to me to scrimp on the appliance that you're going to use to support that thousand-dollar investment. Just my thinking...

also, the title of the thread is "I want opinions!", so why there's some surprise and/or resistance when people offer up different ideas on the whats and whys is beyond me.

Hello TPF!

So I've posted a thread here maybe a couple weeks ago about choosing what to buy, and I still haven't decided I was picking between Canon and Nikon, but I was majorily in favor of Canon.

Anyways, I've decided to go with a mirror less sony camera, the sony A6000 to be exact, I love everything about it and the kit lens is already wide enough for me at the moment.

My opinion is you looked at option A, then B. You wieghed the two options (pro's and con's). Then you ditched them both and went with option C.
No wait that fact.
My opinion is to not buy a bunch of stuff then go on the internet looking for opinions unless you want to hear things you may not like.
No wait.
My opinion is all monopods suck! Use a fing stick.
No wait.
My opinion is all tripods suck! Rest it on a midget!

The internet will never make up it's mind.
Just be carefull with the monopod and test it to see if it has enough quality/strenght to not wreck your more expensive equipment.

Umm.... ok, so cheap midget or the more expensive version?

also, the title of the thread is "I want opinions!", so why there's some surprise and/or resistance when people offer up different ideas on the whats and whys is beyond me.

Irony. I posted an opinion. Im not surprised nor resisting.

I hear your reasoning, and I appologize for using the word fn it was inappropriate and was met with he negativity that it deserves.

I think we sorted it out and are mostly on the same page.

Thanks.
OG

Irony. I posted an opinion. Im not surprised nor resisting.

I hear your reasoning, and I appologize for using the word fn it was inappropriate and was met with he negativity that it deserves.

I think we sorted it out and are mostly on the same page.

Thanks.
OG

nah, I dont mind.
I actually like a little resistance.

@cherylynne1 can attest to the a6000. As for shoes for your camera, don't go cheap. Just don't. If you can't afford better, just don't buy one. Do you not have a used market where you are? You don't have to buy the latest and greatest. If weight isn't a concern for you, a good used Bogen or Vivatar will do the job. I think I bought my Vivatar anchor, I meant tripod, for $5.

I've been summoned! Yes, I love my a6000. I always say that it's like the Toyota Camry of cameras. It's not the best or the smallest or the cheapest, but it does well enough for most people in most situations. I don't think there are a ton of complaints about the a6000/a7 series menus, since they're now very much in line with other companies. My old NEX-6 menu, on the other hand, was like reading hieroglyphics.

Are we talking about hiring midgets? I'm 5'0 and can be rented as a voice activated monopod for $120/hr. I have excellent references. :D

Another option is to sell the tripod you have now, keep the head you said you like, and buy a tripod that has a detachable leg.

Bags, they are definitely pricey. Sorry, they can be pricey. Granted, I bought a LowePro 4 years ago and it's held up to a lot of abuse from multiple trips around the world, with no visible deterioration. I loathed spending $250 on a bag, but in hindsight it was well worth the purchase. Now of course, if there's somewhere you can find one of equivalent quality cheaper, by all means. But I'm just making the same argument that others are for the monopod; don't cheap out on something that's going to support/protect your equipment. Unless you have a good insurance policy :D

I've been summoned! Yes, I love my a6000. I always say that it's like the Toyota Camry of cameras. It's not the best or the smallest or the cheapest, but it does well enough for most people in most situations. I don't think there are a ton of complaints about the a6000/a7 series menus, since they're now very much in line with other companies. My old NEX-6 menu, on the other hand, was like reading hieroglyphics.

Are we talking about hiring midgets? I'm 5'0 and can be rented as a voice activated monopod for $120/hr. I have excellent references. :D
Sounds fantastic, just one thing.. Do you know the lollipop guild song?

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Yes, I do, as well as all of the Oompa Loompa jingles. For an extra $50, I'll run around asking people on the street where they hid my Lucky Charms in an Irish accent.

Hey, photography's an expensive hobby. You gotta do what you gotta do. :)

Yes, I do, as well as all of the Oompa Loompa jingles. For an extra $50, I'll run around asking people on the street where they hid my Lucky Charms in an Irish accent.

Hey, photography's an expensive hobby. You gotta do what you gotta do. :)
Well, your hired then. One thing though, we'll need a photocopy of your drivers license on file. Child labor laws here are draconian. Lol

Another option is to sell the tripod you have now, keep the head you said you like, and buy a tripod that has a detachable leg.

Bags, they are definitely pricey. Sorry, they can be pricey. Granted, I bought a LowePro 4 years ago and it's held up to a lot of abuse from multiple trips around the world, with no visible deterioration. I loathed spending $250 on a bag, but in hindsight it was well worth the purchase. Now of course, if there's somewhere you can find one of equivalent quality cheaper, by all means. But I'm just making the same argument that others are for the monopod; don't cheap out on something that's going to support/protect your equipment. Unless you have a good insurance policy :D

What makes a cheap mono pod bad? like how can it break my camera? I obviously wont leave it alone and let it stand up by its self?
I really need people to explain this for me.

Do you own a bike? you might like the one I use for biking:
9144vQPrhbL._SL1500_.jpg

Other than that I like the backpack type bags:
6548063.01.big.jpg

Most reactions

Back