I want to be a photographer – or maybe an artist. - small rant

Very well stated Kathy. I'm a Motion picture technician and machinery operator (retired), made my living knowing where and how to set the stand and the diffusion, 20+ years of doing this taught me nothing about using light. Spent the last three days taking photos with my best friend Micheal, he's teaching me how to use light. I am a technician behind the camera, get the settings right, shoot away and everything will fall into place. No artistry there on my part, but every now and then...

Lew, I hate to say it but I've become a camera operator.

At the end of the day... I am an old dog trying to learn New Tricks.

...and they promptly told me "Photos don't matter. That's not what sells things." To which I replied oh wait I didn't have a comeback for that one.

Oh, man, that's an easy one.

If photos didn't matter, they wouldn't have them, bad or not...

...and they promptly told me "Photos don't matter. That's not what sells things." To which I replied oh wait I didn't have a comeback for that one.

Oh, man, that's an easy one.

If photos didn't matter, they wouldn't have them, bad or not...

I'm stealing that next time I'm in there and the topic comes up.

I tried persuading a local consignment shop that they needed my services. The truth is, they need someone's, and I happened to be there. The product photos they post are absolutely HORRIBLE. I mean half of them aren't in focus. I told them that their products online would command a LOT more attention if they were given a good professional product photo treatment, even told them the stories of some of the things I've sold, showed them samples that they agreed were much better, and they promptly told me "Photos don't matter. That's not what sells things." To which I replied oh wait I didn't have a comeback for that one.

Easy enough, issue them a challenge. Have them put up one ad of a product with their photo, and another of the exact same product with one of your photo's, and see which one sells faster and for more money.

If the "Well, if photos don't matter, why have one?" question doesn't work, I'll play this card next. I don't need to do it, I'd just like to for the experience. And beer money. And maybe film money. Or bacon.

here's my photo...

$Jack-2.jpg300mm 25 feet away. I am a god with that lens!

My point is that you, of all people, should know full well that threads like this are unconstructive and lead to infighting and just all around negativity..

For a few pages it was a good discussion. Don't blame Lew for behavior of others. This is a forum,right place for intense exchange of opinion. It's not Lew fault, that some are forgetting the direction. It started right, ended in petty bickering. There is an ancient Greek's maxim: be silent or speak thinks better, than silence. Some just want to speak.

Lew, there is art in anything that requires judgment. If there was no ‘art’ in photography then one photo would be as good as the next.

Most reactions

Back