I want to buy a Canon Rebel XT

Quote from dpreview.com on D40

• No lens motor in body means non-AF-S/AF-I lenses are manual focus only
  • Disappointingly RAW+JPEG setting only records Basic quality JPEG's
  • No status LCD panel on top of camera (we hate to see these go)
  • No exposure or white balance bracketing
  • No hard buttons (without customizing) for ISO or White Balance
  • No depth-of-field preview
  • Occasional visibility of moire artifacts (although seldom)
  • Fixed exposure steps (1/3 EV)
  • Disappointing automatic white balance performance in incandescent light
  • No RAW adjustment with supplied PictureProject, only simple conversion
  • Limited image parameter adjustment (especially for color saturation)

D40 doesn't seem so bad to me. Fit a katz-eye screen and use AI lenses :D

****, I use a tele with my XT. Sigma 135-400, no problems
Shot this Sat morning with that lens . I can't see how a higher priced Camera would have made a diffrence??

What I meant was that my $400 "toy" camera would quickly have to turn into a $600 or $700 project because I would have to pick up a telephoto lens for it as well... since almost everything I take is at 200mm or longer.

i wouldnt waste your money... not because its a bad camera, (i honestly dont know, i used one in best buy, it felt cheap, i went with sony) but just becuase it seems like a waste of money , buying something in another system just to play with. sometimes, if something is cheap, its not a deal if you dont really need it.

I was thinking of getting something like the XT myself, so that I could try out the 24-105 f/4L IS and some other stuff from Canon. I talked myself out of that madness though and I ended up picking up an F100 film camera instead and am currently blowing that money on some cheap but good full-frame lenses, film, and processing! :lol: Couldn't be happier though. I love film! :)

C'mon Sabbath, if you want a new toy, just get a holga! Although I doubt that you could find one with a long enough lens. :lol:

Hey sabbath and Keith, We should do a Missouri meet up, There is at least the three of us and maybe a few more, I'll start a new thread in the local meeting forum.

About the XT, it is really light and the grip is very thin, I'm not sure thats is all bad, but it feels tiny compared to a 20/30/40D. I just might pick one up for a spare though, just because they are so cheap. I think that the XT would be more uncomfortable to hold for long periods just because my hand feels more cramped up with the small size.

Last edited:
sabbath, I have the same problem as you. I don't have ANY DSLR, and am trying to get into the market for as little as possible. I have two canon lenses, but the XT isn't really what I want. But I also don't know what I want! :) I'm leaning towards a Sony A200. But if you already have a Nikon, you'll find yourself probably not liking it as much as you might think, though I could be horribly wrong. I know every time I pick up a canon I zoom in when I want to zoom out (and vice-versa), because the zoom backwards from a Nikon. Plus the control wheel seems really out of place and stuff. Its just strange-feeling in comparison to a Nikon, and IMO you'll probably not like it.

But I've been wrong more than I've been right, so maybe this is a sign you should buy one. :)

Most reactions

Back