i want to save all my photos on my PC which is a good one to use

I was one who lost a lot of images because I only had on line storage at the time.
The 1 2 3 spoken above is the same as the grandfather, father, son, method.
At one stage, here there was a Photo buddy system if you did not have family or friends you could leave a eternal drive with you could sign up to the scheme
I have not seen it for a long time now don’t know if it still exists
Plz do let us know how you get on
I will .. thinking of all this now...

How are external WD Passports compared to a external hard disk?
My reading of reviews about the WD Passports suggested spotty reliability. That was why I went with buying their 3.5" hard drives and putting them in my separately purchased enclosures. It may be that their reliability has improved since I had done my research some years back.

my pc is old.. thinking of buying a new pc.. but in the meantime I would like to make sure I have all my photos saved.. which device is recommended ..hope this is in the right forum.. thanks
Just got an e-mail from Adorama showing some nice external drives on sale. Might be worth checking out. I’ve been very happy buying from them.

my pc is old.. thinking of buying a new pc.. but in the meantime I would like to make sure I have all my photos saved.. which device is recommended ..hope this is in the right forum.. thanks
Just got an e-mail from Adorama showing some nice external drives on sale. Might be worth checking out. I’ve been very happy buying from them.
thank you I will do this..

thank you I will do this..
Just a note: They will be closed for the Jewish Holidays. Even the web site will not take orders at that time.

My reading of reviews about the WD Passports suggested spotty reliability. That was why I went with buying their 3.5" hard drives and putting them in my separately purchased enclosures. It may be that their reliability has improved since I had done my research some years back.

I have 6 WD Passports, all 1TB and 2TB "spinners" and have never had any issues with them. However, I only plug them in when I need to back up or retrieve files.
I recently checked the price on the 1TB SSD Passport and it was almost 4x more expensive than the 1TB Passport spinner.
I also have WD Reds in an external enclosure, but I use them the same way I use the Passports. Power on when needed, then power off.

john just curious if you are the same person from MFK.. did you own big fish..

I thought of that too Otherprof, I think they reopen Wed. The long holiday when they're closed for maybe a couple of weeks is coming up before too long

Just checked and Yom Kipper is a day and then Sukkot is about a week and a half. Their holiday schedule is linked at the top of their site. Looks like there are some phone hours during that time.

LOL, since I don't have a clue what you mean by MFK or big fish, I'm probably not the person of whom you are thinking.
The g of my user name of johngpt is the first initial of my last name Guarino. I was a Physical Therapist, hence the pt, now retired. It was my very first online user name ages ago when names were restricted in length. Here in Albuquerque I'd worked for what was St. Joseph Hospital and then Lovelace when St Joe's was purchased.

LOL, since I don't have a clue what you mean by MFK or big fish, I'm probably not the person of whom you are thinking.
The g of my user name of johngpt is the first initial of my last name Guarino. I was a Physical Therapist, hence the pt, now retired. It was my very first online user name ages ago when names were restricted in length. Here in Albuquerque I'd worked for what was St. Joseph Hospital and then Lovelace when St Joe's was purchased.
wow you have an interesting life.. the John from MFK is a photographer and owner of huge aquariums.. and we used to enjoy his photos.. I was on the staff of MFK but never actually met him.. but his photos were sensational ...much like yours.

As I read, you are considering getting a new PC plus somethings to be a backup destination for your photos.

Speaking on an external hard drive, I personally would be very cautious with trusting a single disk with my important stuff. I've been an IT guy since early 90's and I've seen and lived through plenty failures, including memories gone due to a failure of a Lacie disk. I personally use NAS devices that host multiple redundant disks and synchronise via the network, but, I'm afraid, such a setup might be too much for someone less technical.

I just Google'd on "Usb 3 Raid Enclosure" and my favourite IT store in Sydney showed 15 options, albeit none of the brands listed there are familiar to me. And since those enclosures are designed to host 2, 3 or 5 disks, the portability will be an issue, you if ever had a need to move that thing in your handbag.

The below one looks quite fast. This might be over the top, but a five disk setup would be a great from both redundancy and performance aspects.
TerraMaster D5-300 5-Bay USB 3.0 Type-C Raid Storage System

Speaking of computers - I do custom builds since that allows me to get specifically what I want while saving money. Windows 10 is such a wonderful OS, stable and fast.

Subject to you specific needs I would recommend for a decent/trusted vendor (again, I assume you are not willing to be too technical) my recommendation would be:
1. SSD that will host you Windows and applications as well as the Photoshop scratch disks. 512 will be a minimum, 1TB is better
1.1. If this workstation comes with a raid setup -- say SSD is the system disk and then it has three magnetic disks configured as a RAID, that would eliminate the need to an enclosure I descried earlier
3. You want the latest generation CPU which is Generation 10 for Intel. Whether Core 5 or 7, nothing crazy about the gaming editions or overclocking. Core 7 would be faster, but more expensive. Generally, you'd want to get as many cores as your budget will sustain. I cannot recommend AMD-based systems -- since the x486 days they always have dangled a promise of something better whilst cheaper... But in my experience, they never delivered. About 5 years ago I went firmly with Intel,
4. RAM - minimum 16GB but 32 is better. On my PCs, both of which have 64 GB, Phtotoshop comfortably chews 12-20GB on top of the Windows and other apps itself.
5. I cannot recommend all in one PCs since they will unlikely offer a good quality monitor that is important in photography editing. I might be wrong here but glossy surface works on me like garlic with vampires. I'm a believer that a monitor should not be a mirror and speaking of photo editing, its most important characteristic is "as close to 100% Adobe RGB" as possible.
6. Fast GPU with plenty of RAM. I use nVidia GTX1080 with 11GB -- works very seamlessly.

ps. the recommendation is based on my own, very subjective preferences and quite extensive experience in this area. It might be over the top and more expensive compared to the mainstream options you'd see in a shopping mall.

As I read, you are considering getting a new PC plus somethings to be a backup destination for your photos.

Speaking on an external hard drive, I personally would be very cautious with trusting a single disk with my important stuff. I've been an IT guy since early 90's and I've seen and lived through plenty failures, including memories gone due to a failure of a Lacie disk. I personally use NAS devices that host multiple redundant disks and synchronise via the network, but, I'm afraid, such a setup might be too much for someone less technical.

I just Google'd on "Usb 3 Raid Enclosure" and my favourite IT store in Sydney showed 15 options, albeit none of the brands listed there are familiar to me. And since those enclosures are designed to host 2, 3 or 5 disks, the portability will be an issue, you if ever had a need to move that thing in your handbag.

The below one looks quite fast. This might be over the top, but a five disk setup would be a great from both redundancy and performance aspects.
TerraMaster D5-300 5-Bay USB 3.0 Type-C Raid Storage System

Speaking of computers - I do custom builds since that allows me to get specifically what I want while saving money. Windows 10 is such a wonderful OS, stable and fast.

Subject to you specific needs I would recommend for a decent/trusted vendor (again, I assume you are not willing to be too technical) my recommendation would be:
1. SSD that will host you Windows and applications as well as the Photoshop scratch disks. 512 will be a minimum, 1TB is better
1.1. If this workstation comes with a raid setup -- say SSD is the system disk and then it has three magnetic disks configured as a RAID, that would eliminate the need to an enclosure I descried earlier
3. You want the latest generation CPU which is Generation 10 for Intel. Whether Core 5 or 7, nothing crazy about the gaming editions or overclocking. Core 7 would be faster, but more expensive. Generally, you'd want to get as many cores as your budget will sustain. I cannot recommend AMD-based systems -- since the x486 days they always have dangled a promise of something better whilst cheaper... But in my experience, they never delivered. About 5 years ago I went firmly with Intel,
4. RAM - minimum 16GB but 32 is better. On my PCs, both of which have 64 GB, Phtotoshop comfortably chews 12-20GB on top of the Windows and other apps itself.
5. I cannot recommend all in one PCs since they will unlikely offer a good quality monitor that is important in photography editing. I might be wrong here but glossy surface works on me like garlic with vampires. I'm a believer that a monitor should not be a mirror and speaking of photo editing, its most important characteristic is "as close to 100% Adobe RGB" as possible.
6. Fast GPU with plenty of RAM. I use nVidia GTX1080 with 11GB -- works very seamlessly.

ps. the recommendation is based on my own, very subjective preferences and quite extensive experience in this area. It might be over the top and more expensive compared to the mainstream options you'd see in a shopping mall.
thank you..so much information here... I appreciate it.. ..

I have copies of my photos and all important documents on my PC a laptop and an external hard drive.
A couple years ago the power supply in my PC failed and destroyed two of the three hard drives in the PC.
Fortunately I had a backup of everything on all three hard drives and did not loose anything of value.

Terry

Most reactions

New Topics

Back