I want to sell my pics

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have taken a lot of pics around Qatar and I was in a hotel the other night when someone pointed out that the large pics hanging on the wall were not as good as mine.

Upon closer inspection I agreed.

How do I go about selling my pics to local hotels and such.

Qatari culture is very prominent in any hotel or public space and I am becoming aware that the pics hanging on the walls of these establishments are mostly representative and not actually taken in Qatar. Is this a corporate thing?

I am not shy and If I thought that by walking in the door and doing a pitch on the fly would work then I would have no problem doing it. But is that the best way to approach them?

Do I package them up say into sets of city, desert, heritage sites, street, architecture etc. How many in each set and how much per set or individual pic?

My mind is made up to have a go and see if I can sell my pictures and any advice would be good.

CHEERS

Get some photos in frames ready to hang on the wall and then go talk to the managers - taking your portfolio with you. I'd say a couple of frames and a series of prints to show others (practical you can't take everything framed its too much to carry). That way you can show them instantly the product that you are going to put up for sale exactly how it will look; heck if they agree and the terms and contract are good you could sign on the day and leave them with them - no wait - no fuss.

How large are the pictures you saw hanging on the wall?
Large photos are not meant to be looked at from a short distance.

Will your pictures look better from a short distance at the same size?

Make sure you're aware of any releases (model, property) required for subjects in your photos. As always, laws vary from location to location, so information found online might not cover you wherever you're trying to do business.

Those photos in hotels are just there to occupy the visual space. The hotel don't really care if yours are better. If it's decent and affordable, they will use those. Anything that is a "corporate property" has no sentimental value. Sure it will make you proud to have your work being picked and put on the wall, but I just want to remind you that how you value your works is very different from how they value your work.

Once a co-worker asked to buy my photo so she can have it printed and put in her home. I gladly gave it to her. Yes I wish I can make some money with the shots I've taken, but it felt better when I know it's about genuine appreciation than quantifiable benefits.

Here hotels are often part of a chain and more moderately priced ones seem to have the same artwork at their various locations - to me it often looks as if it was produced for their chain (meaning at best it might match the bedspreads! or the décor their chain is using). I've been places that do have photos or artwork sometimes specific to the place but I haven't seen that too often. I don't know what it's like where you live.

You may have to ask at the hotel but I would expect the manager may not be the one who makes the decision about the hotels décor; I'd think the decision might be made by someone at a corporate office or hotel headquarters. Chances are they'd give you contact info. and you might have to email your submission for them to review if they're accepting bids for artwork for their hotel(s).

In my area usually a small local business like a coffee shop is more likely to consider displaying local artists' work so if a hotel was independent and locally owned it might be a possibility.

If you are going to approach them, pick pictures that match their current color scheme and style.

It is color that is king.

If you are going to approach them, pick pictures that match their current color scheme and style.

It is color that is king.

The pics in the public areas that I have seen dont match anything. They have a vague generic Arabic theme with ostentatious gold frames.

I don't know what it's like where you live.[/B]

In my area usually a small local business like a coffee shop is more likely to consider displaying local artists' work so if a hotel was independent and locally owned it might be a possibility.

Please bear in mind that 90% of leisure activities in Qatar are based around the large hotels or shopping malls (at least for the western expats, for the construction laborers it is a very different story) and all of them without exception have an Arabic theme to some degree. The sponsorship system here means that small businesses always have to get permission for everything and that always takes forever, the longer you make people wait the more important you look.

Those photos in hotels are just there to occupy the visual space. The hotel don't really care if yours are better. If it's decent and affordable, they will use those. Anything that is a "corporate property" has no sentimental value. Sure it will make you proud to have your work being picked and put on the wall, but I just want to remind you that how you value your works is very different from how they value your work.

Once a co-worker asked to buy my photo so she can have it printed and put in her home. I gladly gave it to her. Yes I wish I can make some money with the shots I've taken, but it felt better when I know it's about genuine appreciation than quantifiable benefits.

Yes I agree with what you are saying. I give away lots of photos to friends but I cant help thinking I could make a wee bit of money.

Make sure you're aware of any releases (model, property) required for subjects in your photos. As always, laws vary from location to location, so information found online might not cover you wherever you're trying to do business.

In the Middle East in general you are not allowed to take any picture of anything, especially people. If I asked for permission to use a building I would immediately get an invoice and permission would never be given. You just have to be careful about generic deserts, landscapes, cityscapes and never ever photograph people unless there is a big crowd and no faces are seen clearly. Women with their faces covered will call the police if you even point a camera in their direction without permission (which will never be given). Its their country and certain rules have to be observed.

How large are the pictures you saw hanging on the wall?
Large photos are not meant to be looked at from a short distance.

Will your pictures look better from a short distance at the same size?

The hotels range from 6 x 4 inches to an entire wall covered with a single image. Better or worse is just a matter of opinion but a well composed image processed specifically for the size being printed will always look better than a pixelated image on cheap paper (which is what I see a lot of).

Get some photos in frames ready to hang on the wall and then go talk to the managers - taking your portfolio with you. I'd say a couple of frames and a series of prints to show others (practical you can't take everything framed its too much to carry). That way you can show them instantly the product that you are going to put up for sale exactly how it will look; heck if they agree and the terms and contract are good you could sign on the day and leave them with them - no wait - no fuss.

Guess what I am doing today!!!

Thanks for all the replies.

Here is an example.

The building in the background is one of the big hotels and has a huge private beach.

$sunset3.jpg

Compared to what is hanging in their reception I think this is better. It was very dusty during the day and the pic you see is SOOC pretty much.

I am thinking that a much bigger version of this could look nice in their reception.

Most reactions

Back