I want to start a website but i need help

Flower Child

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been getting quite the collection of photos and I want a website to advertise me as a photographer and my photos. i also want a site where people can order prints but i dont know exactly how that works--. Also, I have heard that it is possible for other sites to want to use your photo and i heard that you can get a cut for everytime it is used or something?? I'm still not 100% sure on how this works either. Is there a free site that you can have a professional looking portfolio on or will i have to pay for a site like that? Any tips from people who have sites and do deals over their site?

any help would be great! thanks

I have been getting quite the collection of photos and I want a website to advertise me as a photographer and my photos. i also want a site where people can order prints but i dont know exactly how that works--. Also, I have heard that it is possible for other sites to want to use your photo and i heard that you can get a cut for everytime it is used or something?? I'm still not 100% sure on how this works either. Is there a free site that you can have a professional looking portfolio on or will i have to pay for a site like that? Any tips from people who have sites and do deals over their site?

any help would be great! thanks

This can be complex and fairly expensive. I use Smugmug. All of my sales through them are from my promoting my work though. There are no easy answers, but here is a place to begin. Don't be shy with them- ask for others to compare.

thank you very much, both of you. Abraxas, I just signed up for a trial on smugmug, thanks

Last edited:
I am switching over to showit web right now, check them out at www.showitfast.com
it is fairly inexspensive and very professional, if you go to jasmine star's blog there is a code to save money just search for show it.

Hope that helps!
Andrea

Oh, I did not see the bottom post about smugmug, I have heard they are good also! Good luck!

I use Smugmug as well. Very user friendly. I created my site myself, and have no experience in html, or any fancy stuff. The support there is amazing too. :D:D

thanks everyone for your help. I have decided on Smugmug. I really like the simple look of that site and I can afford that price I do believe.

btw, chiller, i looked at your site and there was this one photo that was so amazing---it was a mannequin looking at its reflection in the window. I got goosebumps when i looked at it. I seemed as though the mannequin was almost human-- looking at himself all depressed. a very special shot, sir.

thanks everyone for your help. I have decided on Smugmug. I really like the simple look of that site and I can afford that price I do believe.

btw, chiller, i looked at your site and there was this one photo that was so amazing---it was a mannequin looking at its reflection in the window. I got goosebumps when i looked at it. I seemed as though the mannequin was almost human-- looking at himself all depressed. a very special shot, sir.
Thank you so much for taking the time to check it out. I know my site is nothing special, but it will do for what I need.
That mannequin shot was taken when the mall was closed. After a long day of posing for people, he took the time to make sure he still looked good in that little reflection of his there. :D Yeah, I see the world in an odd and twisted way. :lol::lol:

Good choice! I have been with smumug since they started and, havent had any problems with them at all.

I just made one, in my sig, and still working on it. I just pay 5 bucks a month for hosting via godaddy and iweb. Not great, but it made my Wednesday go by fast.

I don't have experience with the best sites to be able to show your prints, have them protected, and then sell them all in one go. But I can add that nowadays having website is not just enough, you need to have good search engine rankings for your target keywords, and you need to market as well. So just keep that in mind from the beginning, from choosing your domain name to how much you want to invest, and other details that come up when you set up your site.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back