I want to start shooting color, but what kind of film?

c.dukes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Right now, I'm dead set on using a fuji stock since I like the neopan so much but I'm not sure if there is something more suited to what I'm looking for. After getting excited about the Velvia, I learned it's a slide film and I assume I want a negative film (and slide film is reversal right?) because it's cheaper. I'm looking for a stock that has a strong saturation for studio, indoor and outdoor photography. Please help this fledgling fly.

Chris

PS - I've only discovered this site today and I've learned tones from you guys.

PPS - Also, help me find some cheap places to buy film online.

I have always found Fuji film to be biased towards browns.
Kodak colour film is much more natural - especially for skin tones.
http://wwwuk.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/colorNegativeIndex.jhtml
Either of these two are good.
But if you want a good colour neg film on a budget try Kodak Gold
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/9/6995/1094&pq-locale=en_GB
It's consumer film but quite amazing. I've done a few weddings and local event shoots as favours and I've used this with excellent results.
I've even used it for publicity stills for a film that I worked on.

If your set on Fuji. I like the "reala 100" i use it for landscapes and weddings.

I've always like Fuji NPH 400. It REALLY has a nice visual DEPTH to my prints. it's more suited towards portraits, with a lower contrast but natural colors. It's VERY smooth/fine grained...I print it on 11x14 Kodak Metallic and Fujiflex papers, and still retains these qualites of depth and smoothness.

I also second Reala. Seems like everyone suggests rating it at ISO 80 (and NPH at 320).

If you want lots of color (knowing you like Velvia):

Kodak makes "Ultra Color" (100 and 400 ISO) which is high contrast/color saturation. It not that bad for portraits. They sell it under the professional label.

If you don't care so much for natural colors...I really LOVE "Agfa Ultra 100" film. To me it seems more like a novelty film, and everytime I go to B&H to buy it the salesperson almost always mentions "You know this is a consumer film, right?".

It's VERY high contrast so you get wild colors. And when printed, blue skies tend to have a huge boost in cyan color WITHOUT a polarizer.

I like using this film indoors under flourescent lighting...the pictures can come out with a HEAVY lime-green color cast which looks neat combined with flash.

I'd be careful with these high color/contrast films in bright sun outdoors, because you will get solid black shadows with no detail.

Well, I think I'm going to try and un confuse you about other stuff. Maybe you allready understand it.. and I just don't understand you. Negative is pretty much that.. the opposite of the color the film will print. Negatives are developed with prints (unless specified "Develop Only"). Slides are just developed. You get no prints with them unless you want to have prints made from them for more money. You probally allready know that.. I'm just making sure. So yes... C-41 (Negatives) is cheaper.

Fuji Velvia has very hi saturation and has very cool colors if that is what you are looking for. (Allthough it's a slide film, E-6)

Fuji Provia has very warm colors and turns out good if you use it right :)
(Also slide film)

hobbes28 said:
MmMMmmMmm...Kodachrome. :D
Oh yeah.. and Kodachrome is great film. But if you don't know that K-14 is only developed at Kodak.. you might get suprised when your slides are gone for a couple weeks. (Happened to me lol)

Most reactions

Back