I went to the beach!

Andreal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So it was a very overcast and extremely windy day but I was determinded to get out and take some pictures, so off I headed to a nearby beach, which was nice because it was resonably uninhabited due to the terrible conditions to be going to the beach :D.

These are somem of the shot I took, I liek to think that I am slowly taking better and better photos but I still have so much to learn, so the main thing I am looking for here is how I could frame/take these pictures better.

As I am also learning to edit my photos (although this is taking a second priority to learning to take them well first!) and so I have included the "before and afters" of all my shots, so if people could tell me how I could have edited better I would also really appreciate that!

Rangitoto Island, just off Mission Bay (Before)
rangitotopreedit.jpg

And the After
rangitotoedited.jpg

I noticed this random tire lying on the beach and thought it added cool DOF, so here it is (Before)
tirepreedit.jpg

And again the After
tireedited.jpg

This bridge was really hard to get a shot of, I was bacially standing in the little river with the tripod legs positioned on rocks that broke the surface, the wind at the time also threatened to blow me out to sea :p (Before).
bridgepreedit.jpg

After:
bridgeedited.jpg

And this one jsut had to be done as a tribute to all who have helped me so far :D (what a way to add depth eh!)
tfpedited.jpg

All comments welcome! Thanks to all of you who have bought me this far and I hope to go much further!

I like them-:)
The before pictures were a little dark, but come out not to bad after a little 'fixing'.
Where is Mission Beach?

I live in New Zealand, and Mission Bay is a ay in the capital city of Auckland where I live. It was originally a stone/shell beach, as you went out it mostly just turned to much and it was not a very nice place but a few years ago they "reshaped" it, adding enormous amounts of sand and makeing it a much nicer place to visit. It always amazes me that in this day and age we can "create" a beach :p.

Good work, I like the tonality of the "after" shots.

I also like the TPF sand-writing.

Oh, think of posting these in the Gallery instead, or ask the Mod to move them there. You'll get a lot more comments, there's lots of people that just visit these forums for the Galleries, and they can be very helpful.

The 1st one--on the touch I think the color is ok. There seems to be a lot of green on the distant landed and especially on the beach but the sky and water look really good. The last one--the color (colour) is really nice whether it is a touch up or not.
What lens did you use to shoot these?

have a good one
3Eo

Oh, think of posting these in the Gallery instead, or ask the Mod to move them there. You'll get a lot more comments, there's lots of people that just visit these forums for the Galleries, and they can be very helpful.

Oh, ok cheers for the tip, I guess I just still consider myself such a beginner that this seemed the natural place :p. I'm not really too sure which mod to contact so for now I will just say that if a mod could move this I would appreciate it, and if not then I shall jsut learn from my mistake :D.

three_eyed_otter said:
The 1st one--on the touch I think the color is ok. There seems to be a lot of green on the distant landed and especially on the beach but the sky and water look really good. The last one--the color (colour) is really nice whether it is a touch up or not.
What lens did you use to shoot these?

The first one is very green, I was trying to bring out the green of the island, because when you see it in real life it IS quite green, everytime I look at the sand though it does bug me, maybe I will have another go at it tonight :D.

To shoot these all I just used the 18-135mm lens tha came with my D80, its the widest lens I have (only owning 2 :p), I am saving my pennies for a Sigma 10-20 or a Tamron 12-24 :D.

OK! Heres take 2 on the first one :D

rangitotoedited2.jpg

so keep that in mind when reading my opinions :lmao:
I live in Southwest Florida, so it's mostly sunny here. We do have occasional dreary, yucky days, so to my eye, the unedited ones look real. And good shots for such a yucky day. The edited ones look just that, edited.
thanx for sharing. The last one here is great. If I wanted to save a photo I took on a dreary day to frame, it would be this one.
OK! Heres take 2 on the first one :D

rangitotoedited2.jpg

Nice pics! I especially like the one with the bridge. It's an interesting shot considering...the angle of it made me tilt my head. =) I'm going to Costa Rica soon and this is a total inspiration. Thanks for posting! I'll be sure to post mine when I get back.

-S

I think those are some good shots. That last editing tho (the take 2) is excellent. The only real thing i have to say to critique it is have it a little more gradually go to the water with a green tint. It looks like you did this slightly but i think it needs more. The only reason i say this is it kind of seems to go to clear water straight to extreme green water, either that or just make the green a little less intense. Other then that very good though.

Most reactions

Back