I would like someones advice.......

fotoian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I take a lot of skateboarding photos and i now need fisheye lens. I have a 62mm lens and need something not super pricy. I was looking at this one but im not sure if it would be the right one or theres one better. tell me what you think, Thanks

Link below

Im not really keen on adapters myself. You may try saving for an actual fisheye if that is what you want or, a wide zoom. I tried an adapter for my old point&shoot, I was disappointed to sat the least. Terrible vigenetting to say the least so, I lost alot of the shots.

Im not really keen on adapters myself. You may try saving for an actual fisheye if that is what you want or, a wide zoom. I tried an adapter for my old point&shoot, I was disappointed to sat the least. Terrible vigenetting to say the least so, I lost alot of the shots.

Do you recomend a brand or model?

Fish eye lenses may be the norm in skateboarding photography but there's nothing about them that's intrinsically useful. It used to be that fisheye lenses were used because they were the only super wide angle lenses around. Now that 35mm lenses pushing 10mm focal lengths are available with better aspherical designs to compensate for wide-angle disortion and light fall-off, true fish-eyes are nearly a thing of the past. Unless you've got the need, the cash, and the balls to shoot with something like a 6mm or 7mm Nikkor (which any mere mortal would have a very difficult time finding, let alone affording) there is no reason to shoot with a fish-eye. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe skateboarding has ever been about sticking to norms. Just because you've seen one too many fish-eye shots in Thrasher or something, doesn't mean you need to shoot like that.

Depends what do you have for a camera? You might try going to B&H or, Adorama and, do a search for a lense for your camera. Both are very reputable dealers. Personally if you are just shooting skate boarding then I would opt for the wide angle zooms. Sigma and Tamron are usually less expensive for most bodies. For example at B&H they have the Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4 for $300, plus there is a $10 rebate on it. Just an example.

The only advise I will give is every front screw adapter I have tried Is junk! It takes quality away from the pic. I have a fisheye,wide angle,& teleconverter. All Three sit in the attic cause they are worthless. Save the extra money and get a real fisheye, You won't regret it.

Hey well thank you for all of your input. Im only 13 and I just got a Canon 20d with a tamron 18-200 lens for christmas! Does anyone have a model they would recommend? I just cant find something right.

Thanks-ian

Well I wish my parents bought me a $1000 camera when i was 13. You might want to list that your that young first next time. Since $300.00 isn't a easy thing to come by when your 13 you might want to just get the front screw 4 now and save for the real lens while your waiting you at least have one 4 now. The real thing is all over ebay Cannon or sigma for around 250 -300. But i'm not a Cannon person so you might want 2 take advise from someone who owns one. Good luck!:D

Yea it was my grandmas but she just stopped using it so i got it. So i should look into getting that one for now? All of my pictures will just end up going to my friends and they won't realize the quality difference anyway. Thanks again-Ian

Fish eye lenses may be the norm in skateboarding photography but there's nothing about them that's intrinsically useful. It used to be that fisheye lenses were used because they were the only super wide angle lenses around. Now that 35mm lenses pushing 10mm focal lengths are available with better aspherical designs to compensate for wide-angle disortion and light fall-off, true fish-eyes are nearly a thing of the past. Unless you've got the need, the cash, and the balls to shoot with something like a 6mm or 7mm Nikkor (which any mere mortal would have a very difficult time finding, let alone affording) there is no reason to shoot with a fish-eye. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe skateboarding has ever been about sticking to norms. Just because you've seen one too many fish-eye shots in Thrasher or something, doesn't mean you need to shoot like that.

Ive shoot with a 7mm fish eye lense before, the images were to distorted to be acceptable to my standards. I love the 16mm fisheye however, I capture many great photos with that.

Tell me what you think about this one.

363807.jpg

Most reactions

Back