Ice Hockey - D7000 with slow lens or D70 with fast lens

nicholas421

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I tried shooting my son's hockey game using a D70 with a Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 VR lens. Needless to say the results were very poor.

All the advice online says I need a faster lens (2.8 or better). I am wondering if I can use my Tamron with a D7000 at higher ISO and get similar results as if I were using the D70 with a faster lens.

My budget is $1000 so I'm trying to decide between the fancier lens or a fancier camera. I'd prefer to get the camera since, to me, it would provide more overall value... and the D70 is getting long in the tooth.

Thanks

I'm thinking a faster lens will due you more good. Although the D7000 has much better ISO sensitivity.

D70 users group on flickr, then searched hockey within that group.

Flickr: Search Nikon D70/s Users

I still own a D70. I am intimately familiar with its capabilities. I have shot outdoor women's soccer with the 300/2.8 AF-S II and track and field with that lens and the 70-200 VR Mark I...in GOOD LIGHT, like outdoors in the springtime, the D70's sensor is fine, and the AF module is pretty good on the center AF spot...as fast as one really needs. BUT, remove the full spectrum that comprises daylight, and the D70's images head south..far south...Mexico-south...

I do not own the D7000, but it is *the best* APS-C sensor at high ISO that I am familiar with (Pentax K-5 also uses the same SONY-made sensor), and so I am going to estimate that the D7000 is a good FOUR full f/stops BETTER at HIGH-ISO shooting than the D70. That is more of a gain than one can realize by buying an f/2.8 lens. The D7000 also has a newer, better AF module than the D70's's 2004-era AF module and system. I say, go with the D7000 and in that way, "elevate" the Tamron zoom lens. And, as a bonus, when you upgrade any other glass, you will be making that new glass SIMILARLY elevated with that class-leading HIGH-ISO capability that only the D7000 can offer in the APS-C arena.

I do not own the D7000, but it is *the best* APS-C sensor at high ISO that

I agree with Derrel, with my D90 it is pretty good up to ISO 1600. I'm sure that the D7000 is just as good or better at ISO 3200. A 2.8 lens is only 1-2 stops better than your zoom lens, but D7000 is probably at least 3 stops better than a D70 (ISO 3200 vs 400).

Yeah go with the 70-200 f2.8 and the d7000. Great little combo.

Most reactions

Back