Ice storm

Claff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.claffie.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Down here in southern Maryland we got .75 inches of ice and then three inches of sleet. I know ice storm aftermath pictures have 'been done', probably to death, but I (still quite the amateur) hadn't taken out the camera in quite some time and any excuse to take a walk and shoot at this time of year is best taken.

070214_07.jpg

070214_12.jpg

070214_15.jpg

070214_16.jpg

I really love #4 what lens did you use and did you flash?

Oh, you got sunshine after the ice. I would've loved that when I was taking my pictures. It was just overcast and blah all day for us. Nice shots. My favorites are the first and third. :)

I got #4 with my workhorse Sigma 25-90mm lens:

picspecs.jpg

I'd like to say it was dumb luck that I got it as good as I did (the branch was being blown about by a pretty good breeze) but I have about 13 blurry clunkers of roughly the same pic to prove I needed a few tries to get it right.

The sun frustrated me. I got up around 3:00pm or so and walked two dogs in brilliant sunshine and said "I gotta get the camera". Came in to get the third dog, threw the camera around my neck, opened the door and was greeted by cloud cover. Kept vigil at the window for the balance of the afternoon for a break in the clouds and took advantage of it when it finally showed up.

I find it interesting that there are comments mentioning #1, 3 and 4 while #2 is my favorite of the bunch.

Well, Claff, this is only so because I have not commented on these photos as yet.
But now here I am and will say what I was already thinking last night, when I first saw these but was too tired already to rustle up the energy to comment: I also do love Photo 2 and find it is the best of the bunch!!! I really love the contrasts, the bit of definition in the sky as background, and the christmaslike "ornaments" of ice in the tree!! But the contrasts are best!

Followed by 4, since I love well-done close-ups (no matter if this is the last of 14 attempts :wink: :greenpbl: :biggrin: !!!).

#2 and #4 are superb shots! Glad you made the most out of a crappy situation!

great shots but 2 and 4 are just excellent

The detail in #4 is really breathtaking. And I love #3 too, those icy branches really take on a personality with all that ice.

Most reactions

Back