Digital Matt

alter ego: Analog Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey gang,

Here's of couple of photos I took today on Lake Erie. I thought these icicles were interesting. I'd never seen anything like this before. I guess the waves crashing up splashed water on this railing and it froze into icicles. They covered every inch of this railing which probably extended 300 feet or more.

On a side note, I nearly killed myself getting down there. There was a ramp with a hand rail to get to that area, and I had my camera around my neck, and was just walking casually. The ground didn't appear to have any ice at all, but I found a small patch on my way down, and fell flat on my back, smashing my head into the ground. OUCH. I ended up hurting my back and neck more than my head, but I'm ok, and I guess it was worth it, because I got up and got these photos :p I sure am gonna be soar tomorrow, because I'm already in a lot of pain now :( Anyway, here they are.

lakecicles_small.jpg
lakecicles_wide_angle_small.jpg

Here's a couple of links to bigger versions in case you are interested.

http://www.anti-rejection.com/photography/nature/lakecicles_wide_angle.jpg
http://www.anti-rejection.com/photography/nature/lakecicles.jpg

Thanks for lookin :)

The pain was worth it mate!

wow, thats really wicked! The icycles look wind blown, i've never seen anthing like that before. Pictures look great!

Really strange and interesting....terrific capture!
Glad the camera was OK! :wink:

Cool pics, Matt! We have a pier on Lake Ontario that gets those kinds of icicles, and yeah, they form just like you said. The wind is usually blowing from one direction on the lake, so the water gets pushed to the side before it freezes. I've haven't gotten any pictures of them yet. I really should try.

wow that's really neat! i love photos that grab your attention because you can't quite tell what they are without serious inspection... 8)

That looks cool: an icicle curtain all the way down the long pier. Very worthwhile going (slipping!) down there to take these photos!
But I hope you're not in TOO much pain now - funny how we tend to try all to save our camera from getting broken by letting ourselves take the major blow, right? Just what I did when I fell over while being out on roller blades with the (unprotected) camera on me...

Thanks everyone. Yeah, the camera is ok. It was around my neck on the strap, and since I fell straight backwards onto my back (head :p) it just bounced on my chest and never hit the ground. My back and neck and head are actually feeling much better today, so it must not have been that bad. A few tylenol, some icy hot, and a good night's rest did wonders.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone :)

Digital Matt said:
Thanks everyone. Yeah, the camera is ok.
LOL, well that's good that camera was ok. I was starting to get scared for a second. Oh, it's good that you are ok too. :wink:

Your first shot really captures the scene for me. The second focuses more on the clouds than the ice fence but it's still a good shot.

Most reactions

Back