IcyVeins' Photos - Please C&C!

IcyVeins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to make a thread like mar1u5 to post all my photos. I have considered the critiques from my first thread and I think they have improved my editing to a degree. Here are a few photos to start off.

First, a couple more shots from Half Moon Bay, the same location as the previous one:

HalfMoonReflection.jpg

I think the hills in the background came out blue because they were too far in the background and blended in with the sky, and got bluer when I dodged the image. I'm not sure if there's anything that can or should be done about it.

HalfMoonLandscape.jpg

Also, a white rose outside my house. I thought it was kind of boring by itself, so I made a couple of artistic renditions:

3a.
WhiteRose.jpg

3b.
WhiteRoseDivide.jpg

3c.
WhiteRoseFlames.jpg

Thanks to any C&C'ers, I will continue to update this thread with more unless I am asked to stop.

Last edited:
The boats are overexposed a bit, and the flowers don't do it for me. The first flower looks nice, I just don't really care for all of the processing in the following 2.

Horizon is tilted on #1. Masts are cut off. Parts of the boat are cut off. Exactly what are you wanting us to focus on in this shot? I don't see it.

#2 has a better composition... it's straight at least. But am I looking at the boats, the hotel, the cars? There's soooo much going on here, it's all a mess. Simplify! Also, why are your blues oversaturated? You had the same issue with your last series.

3a is well composed, but the light is terrible, too much contrast in the foliage behind. You could have bounced some light back there with a piece of paper or thrown some shade over the entire thing.

I don't feel like you should be trying to make art out of poop (even though some literally do) which is what I felt like you were trying in the last two. It's not my thing anyway.... some may dig it.

Next time you go out, simplify (like you did with #3). What is your subject? How do I remove everything else from the shot, while including the entire subject? Not all great photos are simple, but I think it's best to start at simple.

Horizon is tilted on #1. Masts are cut off. Parts of the boat are cut off. Exactly what are you wanting us to focus on in this shot? I don't see it.

#2 has a better composition... it's straight at least. But am I looking at the boats, the hotel, the cars? There's soooo much going on here, it's all a mess. Simplify! Also, why are your blues oversaturated? You had the same issue with your last series.

3a is well composed, but the light is terrible, too much contrast in the foliage behind. You could have bounced some light back there with a piece of paper or thrown some shade over the entire thing.

I don't feel like you should be trying to make art out of poop (even though some literally do) which is what I felt like you were trying in the last two. It's not my thing anyway.... some may dig it.

Next time you go out, simplify (like you did with #3). What is your subject? How do I remove everything else from the shot, while including the entire subject? Not all great photos are simple, but I think it's best to start at simple.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks bazooka. I didn't realize about the horizon until you pointed it out, or that #2 was too busy. Now I have some things to consider next time.

In the mean time here are a couple edited versions of a shot I took of the bar at a hotel restaurant. I didn't include a shot with normal colors because after reading some of these critiques I realized there were several problems with the light and colors that I have to try to fix again, and I may not even bother because I see that the shot is slightly tilted to the left (based on the vertical lines) and there are probably other problems you guys will point out as well. But here they are:

4b.
LarksBarMetal.jpg

4c.
LarksBarBlue.jpg

Most reactions

Back