Ideas for final project (Photo I)

starscream59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While I've been enjoying my time in my Photography class all semester, especially learning about the darkroom process, I'm trying to come up with an idea for a final project (self directed) and as I'm quickly approaching finals, I'm running out of time (procrastination is a great talent of mine). Any ideas? (Shooting Ilford HP5+ & Tmax 400). (4 Rolls of Film, 10 prints mounted)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ideas so far:

Doors/Windows (Too Cliche?)
1-10 (Numbers in everyday life)
Churches in the area

I used to be pretty good at cramming for exams myself but boy, LOL you're getting down to the wire. Anyway, were there any photos you did for class that you could use as a starting point? I suppose any of your ideas could work.

I wonder with doors/windows or churches if you might need to think of some way to get creative with it. I had a B&W photo this fall accepted into a juried art exhibit that was of an abandoned looking building. If I'd shot it straight on I don't know how good it would have been, but there were tall dried grasses in the foreground that framed the shot and I think the perspective made it more interesting (and the time of day and light hitting the grasses made for some nice contrast). Maybe this time of year buildings with trees nearby to get some pattern? or leaves on the ground for some texture?

There is some really neat architecture in the churches around the area, at least that interest me. I also find interest in old, run-down, dilapidated buildings, because I believe it allows us an insight into the entropy of society overall. I've already used that theme in two different projects so far this semester..but I don't want to seem to repetitive.

Another idea:
Light painting (I've never done it on film, let alone B&W)?

Last edited:
One project I did back in day for college was take a full length mirror and take photos of what's reflected in the mirror. As I was carry it around I dropped it by accident, it broke in half. So I used the two half the same way and then started breaking more off till it was about an 8x10 size with lots of jagged edges. And I didn't cut myself.................LOL

Or maybe you could just walk around and do street candids.

I decided to document something that I've walked past so often, but never really paid attention. Street Art in my neighborhood. The world is our canvas, our endless ever-changing canvas.

If you're interested in light painting (not necessarily for this project since you've decided on a good subject) you might want to look up Dave Black photography. I took a sports photography workshop of his several years ago and I know he also does light painting. I've never tried it myself but he has a lot of expertise and is a good teacher.

If you're interested in light painting (not necessarily for this project since you've decided on a good subject) you might want to look up Dave Black photography. I took a sports photography workshop of his several years ago and I know he also does light painting. I've never tried it myself but he has a lot of expertise and is a good teacher.

......Black's work is interesting. My "light painting" is a whole other idea.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back