Ideas please

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, you know what it's like, friends know that you are a pro photographer so come to you for some special pics........ not a problem as a rule but

I'm a wedding photographer, some portraits and landscapes for fun and now have been asked to take pics of a new born baby (two months old)

My problem is how the hell do you take pics of babys?

Does anyone have examples of good baby photography (poses etc)

To me, I dont have children, they pretty much all look the same......

toddlers and children at weddings are easy, just snap away and you will always get an interesting shot because they are always up to something or pulling a face etc.........

The last thing I want to do is produce a pic that has a baby lying on a rug, on the other hand, getting a two month old to skateboard is somewhat difficult................. I need ideas HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLP

You can google search newborn photographer blogs. There will be tons of pictures and ideas right in front of you.

Here is one that I follow:
Captured By Carrie

Piece of cake.

That age they still sleep a lot but you can't wait much longer.

They're very mallleble and you can position them and pose them pretty much anyway you want and they just sleep right through it.

Just ask Mom what she wants.

They won't be running around the studio and they won't smile when you tell them to say cheese.

as an infant and child photographer, i can tell you that it is NOT easy. You owe it to yourself as a professional and to your client to really learn how to work with infants and children before you start charging people...in my opinion.

(2 month old babies happen to be very difficult because they are starting to get bored, have opinions and they make alot of jerky faces)

as an infant and child photographer, i can tell you that it is NOT easy. You owe it to yourself as a professional and to your client to really learn how to work with infants and children before you start charging people...in my opinion.

(2 month old babies happen to be very difficult because they are starting to get bored, have opinions and they make alot of jerky faces)
AMEN TO THAT

When my daughter was born I had no clue how to go around posing her. We had a photog who came to us and did some shots - that was a learning experience in its self. PM me, I'll send you some pics and maybe a video of how it went :)
When my son was born, my wife and I did it our selves.
Sears - the good thing about them is &H*T load of props. The bad - thing is that employees there have very limited creativity AND everything from camera settings to lighting is preset thus not a best place to learn.

Last edited:

I was actually asking for ideas on posing.
It is a friend not a client
I didnt say it was easy
and as for the last comment about learning before charging - I,m not charging, its a friend and after twenty plus years of building up a business on recommendations I think I have learnt a thing or two.

In fact I would be less of a photog if (even after all of these years) I didnt come on here for ideas....... we are constantly learning... but in the meantime I will try to service my friends as much as I can

I was actually asking for ideas on posing.
It is a friend not a client
I didnt say it was easy
and as for the last comment about learning before charging - I,m not charging, its a friend and after twenty plus years of building up a business on recommendations I think I have learnt a thing or two.

In fact I would be less of a photog if (even after all of these years) I didnt come on here for ideas....... we are constantly learning... but in the meantime I will try to service my friends as much as I can

Snippy.
I was replying to another comment that said it was a piece of cake
I didnt say not to ask for help
you didnt say it was a free job and didn't catch that it was for a friend
Lots of people come here for a fast track to photography "tell me everything you know about photography, I just bought a camera and am going pro"

I think if all kids look the same, you should stay out of child and infant photography, even for a friend

Most reactions

New Topics

Back