If i get me a Canon Speedlite 430EX..(lens related)

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
should i still get a 50mm F1.8 or 1.4? The cam already has a 18-55mm standard lens..wouldnt flash save me some lenses? School me on this..what lense should i get then?

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
Get the 50mm F1.8...it's the best value because it's cheap, fast and sharp. If cost is not a problem, then get the F1.4...or what ever you want.

Yes, using flash will make it possible to get shots in some lower light situations. However, shooting with flash is a whole different style of photography than shooting without one. A flash will have a limited range, you can't light up a whole landscape with a regular flash shot.

A fast lens (F1.8 ) will also allow you to get a very thin DOF...which a slower lens just can't do...flash or not.

OP
sincere

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, thanks for clearing this up! What other lenses would be recommendable besides the ones that where mentioned? I really dont know anything about lenses.

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
It really depends on what kind of shooting you like to do and your budget. Use your camera for a while with those lenses. If you wish you had more magnification, then get a longer lens. If you find that you are wishing for a wider view, then get a wider lens. If you are finding that you want to get closer than your lens will focus...then get a macro.

OP
sincere

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to shoot people mostly, no serious movements such as sports..what would be a good wide lense? You can give me a few good examples for lenses period. Thanks!

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics