If I may, a little rambling

pbelarge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been reading and viewing photos in the different forums, but I keep coming back to this forum to post.
I see all the same work that most here see. It intrigues and inspires me to improve (which is not difficult at this stage, I am only a beginner).

I used to think that I was poorly situated in my environment to produce great shots, as I have viewed spectacular work online. Woe is me how will I ever learn

However, I have learned more than just photography skills lately, and have come to the realization that I am in a great location for shooting.

Yesterday I spread my wings a little and drove into downtown NYC. I have seen some shots from there that have me wondering if I can produce similar work. It took me 35 minutes to reach lower Manhatten. Not bad!

I have also driven 40 minutes north of me for landscape type shots. Not too bad either

I am going to do some PP work on a few of the shots and I will post them (I am even less skilled at PP than snapping shots). I am very curious to see if others see what I saw - and if I am able to convey those feelings with my work.

After decades of photography, I've come to realize that I only need my own neighborhood to photograph in. For me, it's more about composition, light, and meaning than having an inherently beautiful or dramatic subject. It forces me think about the photo more. And I can watch the changes of season and lighting to plan my shots. (There's a plant I've been waiting on for almost a year now, because I waited too long last year when everything was right.)

i think with a little imagination, everyone could find that they live in a good place to take photos. i used to feel the same way, that i just wasn't in a great location (this was actually when i lived further north in the far chicago suburbs) but i think that if we can all step back and actually look at the things we pass by everyday, we'd see that there's always a lot around us. i try to look at things like i'm someone who has never been to my particular area. you know, corn fields and barns are every day to me and it took me a while to really realize that to some people, it's a whole new thing. for myself, i think i becomes a fun challenge to try to look at things around me with a new perspective and try to find a way to make the everyday stuff look special.

Nice post and one which I can relate to a lot.

Indeed there is a lot to photograph in ones own back yard, and it's just a matter of getting out there and finding it. Making it happen so to speak.

Locations do not have to be off the beaten track, or exotic to make a good image.

How about swapping for a day, I would LOVE to shoot in downtown NYC, so count yourself lucky! he he.

depends on what you shoot if u ask me. if you're a landscape photographer there's a great chance the possibilities suck. but if you're a portrait photographer and have a bit of lighting gear, almost any location can be turned into awesome-ness.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back