If these are bad...in my defense, it was really cold outside...

keythsea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried to get some good shots of this old wreck, but I had to cut it short because my hands were starting to hurt. I have put these through editing, but I would like some feedback. Thanks!

Attachments

• water tower.jpg
    water tower.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 151
Dagnabit...let me try to shrink a couple of these down...

Color version -- if these files are low quality, it's because I had to save them down to get them to post.

Attachments

• Doll leg - shrunk.jpg
    Doll leg - shrunk.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 112
Gin bottle

Attachments

• Gin bottle - shrunk.jpg
    Gin bottle - shrunk.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 116
black and white...which I seem to have an affinity for...

Attachments

• Gin bottle 2 bw - shrunk.jpg
    Gin bottle 2 bw - shrunk.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 125
The closest I've come to a picture that I'm satisfied about...

Attachments

• Gin bottle - shrunk.jpg
    Gin bottle - shrunk.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 110
I tend to resize my shots to between 1500-2500px on the long edge.

Are you new to photography?

Your shots seem a bit muddled, compositionally. Photography is not only about the subject, but also about using light and shade to provide emphasis, lead the viewer through the scene and create mood. Try using compositional ideas (light, shade, leading lines, symmetry, zig zag paterns, perspective etc) to create a balanced image and direct a viewers eye through the photograph.

I tend to resize my shots to between 1500-2500px on the long edge.

Are you new to photography?

Your shots seem a bit muddled, compositionally. Photography is not only about the subject, but also about using light and shade to provide emphasis, lead the viewer through the scene and create mood. Try using compositional ideas (light, shade, leading lines, symmetry, zig zag paterns, perspective etc) to create a balanced image and direct a viewers eye through the photograph.

I am new to it, yes.

I think you have a great start! My advice would be to try and get 4-5 different angles or compositions for each shot. This will help with creativity. These seem like you walked up and shot the subject without really moving around or composing the shot much. Think about shooting close up, from above, from behind or the side. Back lit vs front lit etc. Practicing this exercise will help you see more unique photo opportunities.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

When uploading files, I set my quality to around 92%, and the file to 1200 on the long side at 200. When you upload it's good to go ahead and click on the full image button so your viewer doesn't have to.

I found the one with the doll leg to be one of those WTH images, that made me pause an look. Using position, crop, light, shadow, clarity, even a little toning, are all things that can draw the eye in on a strong focal point. Something like this maybe?
edit.jpg

It is difficult to second guess the situation, but I think less cropping and a higher angle, especially on the last two, would provide a bit more perspective.

Why did you shoot these subjects? What was your purpose? What were you trying to accomplish?
Keythsea, if it wasn't obvious, Alan wrote these questions to act as a sort of template. We photographers will often ask ourselves these questions. They help us think about what we are seeing. They help us compose shots. They help us decide on aperture and other exposure settings.

As an example, Smoke665 decided that the leg and shoe would be a good focal point/subject and darkened and lightened so that the viewer's eye was guided to the leg and shoe. The toning is a very nice artistic effect.

I hope this helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back