If this forum died...

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...photo equipment sales around the world would plummet.

I've been away from TPF for 2-3 weeks now, perfectly content with my equipment. Now, I log on here and see discussion of better equipment (580ex, alienbees, more white glass, etc) and start drooling again.

You think this is bad - don't ever join a birding forum - they all have 500mm primes!
Have you any idea how long you have to wait to save up for one - its aaaaaaaaages!

You think this is bad - don't ever join a birding forum - they all have 500mm primes!
Have you any idea how long you have to wait to save up for one - its aaaaaaaaages!

Get old ;)

I paid a hundred for my Canon mount 400mm telephoto prime and sixty something for my Olympus mount 400mm prime telesphoto prime. I can provide a reciept for the Olympus mount one, you'll have to take DeadEyes word for the Canon one tho.

If this forum died, I would set up my own forum and push the current mods into moderating it ;)

If this forum died, I would set up my own forum and push the current mods into moderating it ;)

Or you could all come over to mine, there is plenty of space available, and lots of room to improve the place. Needs more people with suggestions. ;)

(Ok, I've exceeded my Spam quota for the month, but thats allright)

I'm the voice from the other end of the room in this conversation - the items I'm interested in are rarely discussed in this forum, and I find most people here can't even begin to imagine the kind of gear that is available out there. There are a lot of photographers who spend a lot more money than people here agonizing over which lens to get for their entry-level camera. That sounds a little condescending, I know. I'm not just talking about pros, there are a lot of hobbyists out there who can afford all kinds of obscure brands and items, and they enjoy photography very much - but they've also had some success in life, and can afford whatever they want. They also happen to be good photographers who have been at it for twenty+ years. So to answer your question - this forum's disappearance would not cure my Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

I'm the voice from the other end of the room in this conversation - the items I'm interested in are rarely discussed in this forum, and I find most people here can't even begin to imagine the kind of gear that is available out there. There are a lot of photographers who spend a lot more money than people here agonizing over which lens to get for their entry-level camera. That sounds a little condescending, I know. I'm not just talking about pros, there are a lot of hobbyists out there who can afford all kinds of obscure brands and items, and they enjoy photography very much - but they've also had some success in life, and can afford whatever they want. They also happen to be good photographers who have been at it for twenty+ years. So to answer your question - this forum's disappearance would not cure my Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

I can't imagine. Everything seems comparative. Right now my audience isn't a photography hobbyist group, but rather a group of race car drivers, who like the simpler of pictures...based on content - who they're racing side-by-side with, the position of their car on the track, the way their wheels are turned, etc. It's about getting to know each of the drivers personally, and providing the style of picture they want. I suppose this is cheaper for me :).

the items I'm interested in are rarely discussed in this forum, and I find most people here can't even begin to imagine the kind of gear that is available out there. There are a lot of photographers who spend a lot more money than people here agonizing over which lens to get for their entry-level camera.

Don't underestimate the members of this forum ;) Some know what is out there and would be fun to have (not talking of MF digital backs here) ... OK, there is the money problem, I admit ;)

Oh, I know, I'm just being pointed.

But being back in LA is a bit of a mind-blower. There are several major shops here that just cater to pros. For instance, go down to Samy's on Fairfax, and see over $100,000 worth of gear walking out the door from the rental desk every day. That's on the ground floor, where they also sell every conceivable paper and film type.

All the way up on the fourth floor is the pro shop, where there's six guys selling cameras like the digital MFs and the high-end SLRs like they're sneakers. Guys will walk in and buy three D3s, and a bag full of lenses... plus stands, tri-pods, flash gear, blah etc and so on.

On the second floor it's all about printing and imaging.

Then there's the 3rd floor, where they sell P&S cameras and entry-level dSLRs. They probably earn even more money there (higher volume AND better margins) but it's just a whole different universe. Well, TPF is a little like the 3rd floor. There's not a lot of pro-level conversation that goes on here, nor much talk about printing...

Oh, I know, I'm just being pointed.

But being back in LA is a bit of a mind-blower. There are several major shops here that just cater to pros. For instance, go down to Samy's on Fairfax, and see over $100,000 worth of gear walking out the door from the rental desk every day. That's on the ground floor, where they also sell every conceivable paper and film type.

All the way up on the fourth floor is the pro shop, where there's six guys selling cameras like the digital MFs and the high-end SLRs like they're sneakers. Guys will walk in and buy three D3s, and a bag full of lenses... plus stands, tri-pods, flash gear, blah etc and so on.

On the second floor it's all about printing and imaging.

Then there's the 3rd floor, where they sell P&S cameras and entry-level dSLRs. They probably earn even more money there (higher volume AND better margins) but it's just a whole different universe. Well, TPF is a little like the 3rd floor. There's not a lot of pro-level conversation that goes on here, nor much talk about printing...

Well, this place just isn't built for discussion of that stuff. Try to start a thread about high end or speciality equipment and everyone accuses you of being too picky. :meh: Go figure.

Well even if the forum wasnt here, I would still be spending money on equipment. Back in the old days we had magazines to tempt us into spending.

Most reactions

Back