If u bought an Apple product in 2011 - Thank You

Some are implying company success and profit is NOT a good thing????

No..."some" are implying that Apple products are not as good as options made by other companies, and are using the company's profits as was pointed out above, as a "moral red herring" for the old fanboy PC versus Mac argument. What "some" seem to conveniently forget is that the Foxconn City complex, and its 230,000 workers, makes products for the vast majority of large consumer electronics and computer makers. Read the New York Times article I referenced above--it goes into pretty good detail on WHY the majority of consumer electronics products are made overseas. Most Americans I would venture, are unaware of the fact that we in the USA no longer have the workers, the engineers, nor the manufacturing capacity, nor the direct access to foreign-made electronics components that exist in foreign countries. These are the kind of people that bemoan Made in Thailand or Made in China notices on products. I saw it when I was a kid when people called Japanese products, "Cheap Jap junk". The memory of WW II was then, fairly recent in the minds of tens of millions of Americans.

Ohhhh I see.....haters gonna' hate!

As Apple dominates the market and crushes the competition
bigthumb.gif

It is really pathetic, honestly, that fanboys use abuses that are commonplace to perpetuate their inane anti-Mac position. This isn't about labor abuses by Apple's suppliers, otherwise we'd be saying the same thing about the vast majority of products we buy.

It's a moral red herring for what is decisively a first world problem: what is better, mac or pc?

You act as if they force the buyers into the store and FORCE them to buy their product. I'm more than certain shoppers go into a store and weigh out their options before buying something, whether that's an iPhone, Mac, Dell, HP, Toshiba, whatever. Is it SO WRONG that a majority of people prefer Apple products over the competitors? I prefer them over the other ones because they work for me. But the classical "fanboy" gets thrown out again. Typical.

Uhm. I was referring to the PC fanboys... did you even read what I wrote?

I did, but must have clearly misunderstood. Apologies. Now let us all get back to talking about how Apple dominates the competition.

maaatter said:
I did, but must have clearly misunderstood. Apologies. Now let us all get back to talking about how Apple dominates the competition.

I would rather not. Mac v PC is so 1995.

That debate will never go away. But now we have the iPhone v Android debate.

I'd like to hear from KmH what his real motive was for posting. See, when people post profit news articles the underlying rally cry is we're supposed to be miffed that a company is making money. The other dig regarding profit per employee alluding we should be irate is another propaganda tactic. We've gone from the American Dream of wanting to be as successful as we possibly can to feeling guilty that we can afford an iPhone when our neighbor can't. So, Keith. What is the real reason you posted this?

That debate will never go away. But now we have the iPhone v Android debate.

Not to mention the iPod versus Zune debate in the portable MP3 player segment of the market....oh wait, those 2,495 Zune buyers really don't have much to debate...the iPod has CRUSHED all the other MP3 players, and despite being more-expensive than competing devices, the iPod is still the most sought-after, most-bought MP3 player.

For the haters that want us to feel bad about Apple's profit margin--let's not get sucked up into doing faulty math, and providing bogus figures, cough,cough...a huge part of Apple's profits come from its on-line iTunes store...Apple is the company that made it possible to buy music,movies,and TV programming on-line by being a power broker between the RIAA and the media-production studios, and by implementing anti-piracy and anti-copying software and hardware "Safeguards". One of the ways Apple makes so much profit off of media sales is that they can build the servers to store the music and videos and software, and they are selling not computers, but DOWNLOADS. Selling downloads does not cost much on a per-sale basis.It also has created a market for the sales of TV shows, which were very,very much not for sale until the DVD revolution hit, and even then, the price of box sets and season-long DVD collections has kept sales quyite modest.

A la carte buying of media?? Revolutionary! No disc? No tape? Revolutionary! This is something that the haters might not quite "get". Apple was the 800 pound gorilla with the vision, and the money, and the resources, to approach record companies and movie studios and their legal armies, and say, "hey--here's how we can BOTH make money on music." How? As Steve Jobs said, "People want to do the right thing," basically. Meaning, they do not want to be going to sharing sites, or whatever, nor otherwise wasting HUGE amounts of time to find, and then illegally downloading content. Instead, they would like to go to ONE SITE, and be able to legally BUY the music the want. As we know, most CD's/albums have filler. Some bands only had ONE hit, and they were done. The ability to go to one location, and legally buy your own download means profit for Apple, for the recording studio, and for the artist.

Not all of Apple's profit is based on manufacturing. Far, far from it; the download business model that Apple pioneered, has literally (not figurativrely,but literally!) revolutionized the way music, TV, and movies are sold. And for that, everybody who appreciates the ability to LEGALLY and EASILY buy music, TV shows, and movies, ought to give a HUGE "Thank you!" to Apple.

Most reactions

Back