If you could get any 3 lens, what would they be and why?

What lenses one gets depends upon a number of factors, but one of the big ones is budget. A lot of really fine zoom lenses cost $2,500 today, and that is a lot more money then many people are able or willing to spend. Some of the finest lenses in the telephoto category cost 8000 to $12,000, although there are alternatives which Cost Less , but which do not have the same maximum aperture capability. finally there is the type of Photography it to be done, in which for birds and many Sports long telephoto lenses are preferred, whereas for street photography shorter wide-angle lenses are often preferred,and in portraiture many of the lrnses are between 85 and 200 mm in length, and are often non-zoom lenses, such as the highly-regarded Nikon 85 mm F 1.4 or the Canon 85 mm F / 1.2.

Over the past 20 years or so both Canon and Nikon have succeeded in making extremely good quality 70-200 mm f / 2.8 zooms with extremely high Optical quality. These modern top quality zoom lenses have in many cases eliminated the necessity for prime lenses in their focal range .

IMO they haven't eliminated the need for primes though they certainly have reduced it.
One of the reasons is something you raised yourself in the post above. Good primes are very much cheaper than equivalent quality zooms. I can't justify an f/2.8 telephoto zoom, even a mediocre one, but I didn't have to think twice about my 135mm/2.8 primes, or the 85/2.8...

Another factor is the primes can be faster, AFAIK no-one has made a zoom that can reach f/1.2 at 85mm let alone one that's highly regarded, admittedly for portraits f/2.8 is really fast enough at 85mm.
One final advantage is the primes are usually quite a bit lighter, at least if you only need one from the range the zoom gives

I'm curious why people don't add prime lenses here. Only because with prime lenses, it let you be more creative with the photos as well as having sharper images at low aperture. thoughts?

Mine are all prime. I dislike having zooms as I’ll tend to get more involved with messing with focal length rather than taking the photo. Just not something I enjoy using.

24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8
85 f1.4

I could potentially consider 135 f1.8 in lieu of the 85 if I were shooting more outside. And well, if I could legally and for free obtain a 600mm f4 I coud consider it :D

I use to love having zooms, but after too many years using them I`m now only a Prime person but that`s for me only though.

Early on I saved for a 70-200 2.8 and it was my workhorse lens for the work I was doing photographing horse shows. I got an opportunity a couple of years later to acquire a 28-70 2.8 from a good friend and fellow pro who sadly passed on not long after I bought the lens. I have a sentimental attachment of course but that lens has turned into a favorite for me and for my wife and partner photographer. I don't have much call for wider angle work. The missing piece for me was macro and close focus distance ability. I was fortunate to be gifted a legacy 105 mm Lester Dine macro lens, originally marketed as a orthodontic specialty lens. It is totally manual and I love it for tabletop and macro work. These three lenses really serve me and my needs well.

I don't buy lenses anymore, I just carry around fixed focal length cameras that run the gamut from wide to telephoto...
But I suffer from strap burn quite often.
:)

A lot of people say the trinity lens comprising of wide angle, medium and telephoto.

Will 3 expensive lens be enough to cover all of your needs? explain. I'm genuinely curious to hear
CANON GUY HERE. THE 3 I WOULD GET IF I COULD AFFORD THEM ARE CANON 70-200 F.28L (telephoto, narrow angle of view), CANON 24-70 F2.8L (has both telephoto and wide angle), AND OFC THE 50MM F1.4 OR THE 50MM F1.2L. BUT F1.4 AND 1.2 IS NOT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE and they still give an amazing shallow DOF. WHAT I NOTICED ABOUT L LENSES IS THAT THEY'RE ABLE TO FOCUS AT CLOSER DISTANCES, FOCUS FASTER, AND GENERALLY ARE FASTER LENSES IN TERMS OF APERTURE.

Last edited:
great choices ^

may i ask which of the 3 lens are best for video?

it’ll prolly be mostly wide angle so a 24-70 f2.8L for vlogging and it’s versatility a 24mm pancake for vlogging cuz it doesn’t add much bulk only once and prolly a 50mm f1.8 for its affordability and versatility

Since I am on a limited budget, I am going to be realistic. At the moment I have just a 18-55mm Nikon kit lens and a 50mm f1.8 prime. In addition to the 50mm lens, I would get a 16-50mm f3.5 and a 70-300mm f4.5 and sell the kit lens, which is fine for now, but I would like to upgrade at some point, I would probably stick to buying Nikon lenses too.

Most reactions

Back