If you could only choose 3 lenses.... Canon ef mount

motorider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to the hobby and just purchased a new t3i to get started. I have the 18-55 that came with it and a i have a 75-300 ef III that i purchased with a digital rebel many years ago. what I want to know is if you could only have 3 lenses for the canon ef mount, which ones would it be? Please include any L series lenses in primes or zooms. I will eventually own FF camera, so i want my lenses to be able to move to the new camera when that time comes. I shoot everything that seems of interest. ie the moon, flowers, my motorcycle, landscapes, im kinda like an adhd photographer....lol.

thanks for the input

Eh I wouldn't limit myself to just 3 lenses and I wouldn't limit myself to just Canon. In the end its not the number of lenses that's important - what's important is that you are able to afford building a setup in a reasonable amount of time which allows you to explore your creativity with the camera in as many varied situations as you are able to with the least amount of limitations upon yourself.

For that its not the lenses that are important first, its your criteria on the table. An idea of really what you like doing and shooting, budgets, limits on size and weight etc..... Everyone shoots a little bit of everything, but most people tend to gravitate toward certain key areas of interest (and these in turn can shift a little over time).

I can list you three good lenses - I can list you five or even six that I'd choose. But in the end they would be lenses for me that would suit my needs and might be totally useless for yourself.

depending on how you like to shoot, it could change peoples opinions on lenses.
some people might list zooms, some people fixed focals.
really though, you should try out some lenses and pick the ones that are best suited for YOUR shooting style and photography needs.
no one else can make that decision for you.

85mm f/1.2 But the 1.8 would do
70-200 f/2.8 L IS II
24-70 F/2.8

I think ..... you think too much. :D

Lens is a tool and it helps you to achieve the result you want. It does not matter what tools other people use, it is matter for what you need.

There is the so-called 'holly trinity'...which usually refers (in the Canon world) to the 16-35mm F2.8 II, the 24-70mm F2.8 II and the 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II. Well, that term is older than the II versions of those lenses, but if we are naming the best lenses, the new II versions are certainly better than the older ones.

That combination would give you a range from 16mm to 200mm, with a maximum aperture of F2.8 and top quality glass.

The only problem with that, is that it doesn't give you a really wide angle on a crop sensor body. So the 'holy trinity' for crop body would be the EF-S 10-22mm, EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, and the 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II.

well, so far i really enjoy macro and low light shooting. like early morning and late evening. my subject could be an old car in a tree row or a moon rise with city background. im too new to know exactly what i like most yet. guess i need to meet some local people that could show me the ropes to different types of photography. im not wanting to go out and spend a wad right this minute, but i do want to try to find a path for me to follow.

For both Macro and low light shooting, a good tripod can be your best purchase. I'd suggest that you budget to spend at least $300 on a good tripod and head combo. Of course, like anything else, you could spend a lot more if it's something your interested in.

Many of us put too much stock (and money) into lenses that have a maximum aperture of F2.8.
Sure, there are many times when that is a big benefit, but if you are not likely to want your shallowest DOF all the time, then you can save a lot of money with a 'slower' lens. For example, the EF 17-40mm F4 L is a favorite lens of landscape photographers (full frame or film). It's a great lens and less than half the price of the 16-35mm F2.8 L II.

Overread said:
Eh I wouldn't limit myself to just 3 lenses and I wouldn't limit myself to just Canon. In the end its not the number of lenses that's important - what's important is that you are able to afford building a setup in a reasonable amount of time which allows you to explore your creativity with the camera in as many varied situations as you are able to with the least amount of limitations upon yourself.

For that its not the lenses that are important first, its your criteria on the table. An idea of really what you like doing and shooting, budgets, limits on size and weight etc..... Everyone shoots a little bit of everything, but most people tend to gravitate toward certain key areas of interest (and these in turn can shift a little over time).

I can list you three good lenses - I can list you five or even six that I'd choose. But in the end they would be lenses for me that would suit my needs and might be totally useless for yourself.

Dont be so dramatic. He is just curious what our 3 favorite lenses are. I hope you dont answer like that when someone asks what one thing you would want if you were trapped on a desert island... Jeez!

Ok so my three are easy...

Canon 16-35mm f/2.8

Canon 50mm f/1.2

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II

( i shoot weddings and these are the three out of the 4 lenses i use. The 4th lens i use is a macro lens)

So the 'holy trinity' for crop body would be the EF-S 10-22mm, EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, and the 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II.

For me it's 11-16 f/2.8, 16-50 f/2.8, and 50-135 f/2.8

Way too many useful, practical focal lengths in that trio of same-brand f/2.8 zooms...plus it has no needless duplication of focal lengths, and therefore you never get to experience that AWESOME feeling of senseless lens duplication while out shooting. Your three-zoom lens trio's degree of practicality and functional no-nonsense lens kit assembly automatically disqualifies you as a compulsive, random, willy-nilly lens buyer and means you are exactly the type of customer the lens makers hate! You have to suffer through identical max apertures, and "same lens brand" color rendering, and all that boring practicality. Man, life must suck for your camera.

MLeeK said:
70-200 f/2.8 L IS II
24-70 F/2.8

Omg someone actually answered the question, don't see that often.

MLeeK said:
70-200 f/2.8 L IS II
24-70 F/2.8

Omg someone actually answered the question, don't see that often.
Why don't you take a flying leap? I have answered your questions repeatedly. AND I go into detail as to why my answer is what it is. You didn't like my answers. How 'bout you GTFO?

If I could only keep three lenses.......

L 24-70 2.8
L 70-200 2.8 IS II

Ok, after playing with something new this morning I have changed my third lens from the 400 2.8 IS to the new 200-400 4 IS with the built in TC. Shoot, now I have to spend more money.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back