If you could only choose 3 lenses.... Canon ef mount

Overread said:
I can list you three good lenses - I can list you five or even six that I'd choose. But in the end they would be lenses for me that would suit my needs and might be totally useless for yourself.

Fact. That's why I can't suggest any lenses.

3bayjunkie said:
Dont be so dramatic. He is just curious what our 3 favorite lenses are. I hope you dont answer like that when someone asks what one thing you would want if you were trapped on a desert island... Jeez!

Ok so my three are easy...

Canon 16-35mm f/2.8

Canon 50mm f/1.2

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II

( i shoot weddings and these are the three out of the 4 lenses i use. The 4th lens i use is a macro lens)

Don't be harsh, that was great advice. Last thing anyone would want is to buy EF-S lenses then upgrade to a FF camera with only it's kit lens to be used

Tony S said:
If I could only keep three lenses.......

L 24-70 2.8
L 70-200 2.8 IS II

Ok, after playing with something new this morning I have changed my third lens from the 400 2.8 IS to the new 200-400 4 IS with the built in TC. Shoot, now I have to spend more money.

What's TC? Not used to the term, sorry

Three "non trinity" Canon EF lenses????

24mm TS-E
85mm f/1.8 EF
300/4 IS

A great wide (on full-frame), with tilt and shift for landscape shooting. A wonderful,light,small,sharp,fast-focusing 85mm f/1.8 short telephoto, and the handiest general-purpose telephoto lens, a 300mm f/4, with stabilization.

Canon 16-35mm f/2.8
Canon 50mm f/1.2

Overread said:
Eh I wouldn't limit myself to just 3 lenses and I wouldn't limit myself to just Canon. In the end its not the number of lenses that's important - what's important is that you are able to afford building a setup in a reasonable amount of time which allows you to explore your creativity with the camera in as many varied situations as you are able to with the least amount of limitations upon yourself.

For that its not the lenses that are important first, its your criteria on the table. An idea of really what you like doing and shooting, budgets, limits on size and weight etc..... Everyone shoots a little bit of everything, but most people tend to gravitate toward certain key areas of interest (and these in turn can shift a little over time).

I can list you three good lenses - I can list you five or even six that I'd choose. But in the end they would be lenses for me that would suit my needs and might be totally useless for yourself.

Dont be so dramatic. He is just curious what our 3 favorite lenses are. I hope you dont answer like that when someone asks what one thing you would want if you were trapped on a desert island... Jeez!

Ok so my three are easy...

Canon 16-35mm f/2.8

Canon 50mm f/1.2

( i shoot weddings and these are the three out of the 4 lenses i use. The 4th lens i use is a macro lens)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU....!!! :)

I have a 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 and 24-105mm... and I just got my Full fram 6D. So, i'm kinda in the same boat where I'm trying to figure out if I need another lens... mainly the 70-200mm. I think in a dream world the 70-200mm and a nice macro would be all I need.

For me (and my budget) I initially started with a Tokina 12-24, EF 50 1.8, EF 28-80, and EF 75-300 iii. I was on a limited budget, so I had to wait for Christmas to upgrade. I now have the following setup:

5D
EF 28mm 2.8
EF 50mm 1.8
Rokinon 85mm 1.4 (I love this lens...my only caveat is that it's MF)

My idealistic setup would be Sigma 35mm 1.4, EF 50mm 1.4, and either the 85mm 1.4 L or Sigma.

Well I think the following two are obligatory no matter what kind of photographer you are, if you're going for 3 lenses for everything (this post is assuming full frame cameras, since that's what the nicest cameras are and we are in a "no limit" hypothetical scenario here. So I'm pretending you have a 1DX or whatever)
EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

And then for the last lens, something fun that suits your special interests.
Like:
TS-E 17mm f/4L if you like wide angle and landscape and architecture, etc. - extends your range significantly even as a flat lens, and gives you tilt shift, and supposedly pretty epic optics.
Or
EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM if you're into birding or whatever instead of wide angle, and if you were REALLY being serious about the "no money limit" thing in the OP ($13,000) =P
Or
EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM or perhaps EF 200mm f/2L IS USM if you're into portraiture.
Or
MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro (still life macro or just if you're really hardcore about magnification) or perhaps the EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM (stuff that you might scare away like bugs) if you're into macro.

You get the idea.

Last edited:
Cool how you can go from a 2012 thread post right to today without missing a beat.

Not that I shoot canon, but the 24-70 2.8, the 70-200 2.8 IS, and the 135 F2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back