if you do outdoor photography in the winter

tkme4ard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
assuming your in a changing season true winter climate LOL do you take pics outside at all? if you do what do you try to use as backdrop. It's nearing the end of fall here and it gets so drab here until it's "snow" time. I'm thinking ahead :)

I'm going to try to take outdoor pics in the winter too. I don't have any advice for backdrops but was hoping that someone might have some advice for shooting portraits in the snow.

(Hope you don't mind me adding a question to yours!)

-April

Snow, glorious snow! I can be very difficult to shoot in the show, because of the harsh light reflecting off of it and it makes is hard to meter correctly. I don't usually do outdoor portraits in the winter here, most people want them in the fall because of the leaf colors. But, I have taken photos of the boys playing in the snow. I usually try to shoot in the early morning or about an hour or so before sunset so I have nicer light to work with. Using a reflector can help with harsh shadows across faces, or a fill flash will work well, too.

As for backdrops, I just let them play as they normally would, and focus on their red cheecks and big smiles as they go sledding or build a snowman.

Yeah for a backdrop I would just build a snowman next to some tall pine trees and bam! You got a backdrop! :lol:

Yes this time of year can be verry drab. I try to do some wildlife photography as the main subject. I also will do a lot of B&W. In B&W the brabness doesn't seem to show as much. Sometimes a drab scene add to the effect. Good luck and have fun experimenting.

Since snow is white, use an all white background indoors but have them wear outdoor type of clothing (leave the furnace off) and add some 'melted spots' in the snow in Photoshop, and maybe even some evergreen trees. PS even has a 'snow' filter that looks like streaks of snow falling around the subject. I plan on doing this on an engagement session sometime this winter.

TH

what type of photos are you taking? If you use something snow covered it will add the the backdrop of your photo and help you set up composition for the shot.

MB

Most reactions

New Topics

Back