If you dont ask....

Renair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.renebruunphotographer.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well here is a little advice to all photographers. Following numerous visits to my local zoo (Dublin) I decided to e-mail them and offer them copies of my images for free since they do such a good job. I also pointed out that their 'animal adoption' photos I got could do with some updating as even early ones I took years ago were of better quality. Not being a smart arse by any means, it just flowed in the mails back and forth I sent about offering my services free.

Needless to say, I then followed my e-mails up with a phone call and as a result, I was asked to come in today to shoot some publicity shots of the new Asian elephants that arrived for the new rain forest enclosure then are building. They were so impressed with my work, I got offered a position of 'Official Photographer'. Now you might say, well it doesn't pay because the zoo's run on funding, donations and paying public. Well it does pay, I got a years free pass for me and 3 other people. Behind the scenes access with the keepers. Fully credited for shots used in the magazine, site or any publication and a 'heads up' on any animal births in Spring etc. Also free access to FOTO WILDLIFE PARK and Chester Zoo in the UK!

All this because in less then 10 seconds during a quiet period in work, I popped an e-mail off to them!

If you dont ask...... you dont get! Hopefully this will inspire some of you to push the boat out a bit and see what happens....

Good luck and Merry Christmas everyone!

Good advice and congrats to you :thumbsup:

There's never anything wrong with doing something that doesn't have even a whiff of moneygrubbing to it.

Nice going. I applaud you.

Thanks guys. I think more photographers should work for free for the likes of good causes or charity work, why wouldnt you want to help a person or animal have a better life!

Yeah man!!! Good effort. The work sounds like fun. I would love to shoot for a zoo. Can you get inside the cages? I am really jealous because I am currently shooting 19th century Indian purses. Beautiful for sure, but nothing compared to huge animals.

Personally I think working for charity and working for free are two different things. Certainly as a young photog just getting a byline is a step in the right direction. If you want to make a career of it the "free" period should be short. I am always proud to work with charities. Keep in mind that they do have an advertising budget. I like to think of it as a "bro" rate as opposed to free.

That is awesome. Congrats. :thumbup:
The zoo's Official Photographer. Pretty prestigious, if you ask me.
You're now in a position where I'm sure many photographers (me included) would be very jealous of you. Free pass (plus 3!) and access that very few people would be granted. Definitely something to be proud of. \m/

Thanks.

With regard to working for charities for free... I mean I would work for the ones I support.... Animal conservation is important... but others, I might supply with some free pix but after that, they pay like the rest! :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back