If you had to sell one.

IronMaskDuval

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hmmm. I'm having some phickleness about selling one of my lens and wanted to get opp's input.

These are my lenses:

Sigma DC 17-70mm 2.8 HSM
Nikkor 60mm 2.8 Macro
Lester Dine 105mm 2.8 Macro
Nikkor 55-300mm VR

I shoot Macro, but I also shoot events and portraits. I'm thinking if anything, I should sell the Nikkor 55-300mm. Although I do enjoy the lens every so often, I'd prefer to rent a faster zoom in that range for events like the Sigma 70-200 2.8.

(and by shoot, I mean trying to shoot. I'm new to this thing)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Why sell any?

Why sell any?

I'm getting a bit of a guilt trip. I acquired all of those lenses under a month's time, and the wife asked me yesterday how much I put into our savings this month, and the only thing I could respond with was, "does interest count?"

I've been shadowing other photographers doing portraits and events and have been trying to shoot a lot of macro for fun, so it's not as if this thing is making me any real money right now-- or will it ever. And the lenses weren't the only things that I acquired during the month. I also got a new body and a speedlight. Needless to say, I'm working my way towards the dog house.

Last edited:
What's a Lester dine macro?

I'd sell the wife :)

Funny. I saw everyone's post on my phone and came home to tell you guys that my wife is the least expensive thing I have going on right now, but then, she proceeds to tell me that she subscribed to a year's worth of laser hair removal. LOL. No one would buy her anyway.

Funny. I saw everyone's post on my phone and came home to tell you guys that my wife is the least expensive thing I have going on right now, but then, she proceeds to tell me that she subscribed to a year's worth of laser hair removal. LOL. No one would buy her anyway.

pretty sure that was her telling you to keep the lenses.

Personally I sell a lens when I simply don't use it anymore, and you have two redundant lenses.

pretty sure that was her telling you to keep the lenses.

Personally I sell a lens when I simply don't use it anymore, and you have two redundant lenses.

Which one? The 60mm Macro?

If you must sell one, sell the one that will bring the most profit, and avoid anything that must be sold at a loss. The 60mm macro was obtained at a good price,m and I know the 105mm Lester Dine was; Lester Dine lenses were made by Kino Precision, a Japanese optical company which used to sell its products under the Kiron brand. Kino Precision was always regarded as a company that built lenses a bit better than most other smaller Japanese manufacturers. A select few "Kiron" zooms were exceptional performers back in the late 1970's and early 1980's--some of the best obtainable, at any price. I seem to recall they had a 70-150 and also a 70-210 with a matched 2x teleconverter, and both were VERY highly-regarded, but that's been over 30 years ago, so I might be off a bit.

The difficult part is getting the full potential sale value; e-Bay is the place to do that I think. I know the Lester Dine would probably bring the most "profit", since you obtained it well below typical market value on eBay.

The other side of the coin is this: when a person is able to get a super low price on a used lens, the difference between purchase price and typical market selling price can be thought of as "savings". If you are going to be in the photo hobby--realize that it's NOT a really cheap hobby. If this is for the long haul, consider the great deals on the 60 and 105 macro lenses as FUTURE SAVINGS money. SO..cut back on crap purchases for six months, STOP BUYING new photo gear and explore what you have, and then start putting money in the bank.

And--the year of laser hair removal the wife went out and bought? I agree, I think that's a way of her feeling SHE was "equalizing" things a bit by treating herself to something she wanted.

Most reactions

Back