If you use a digital camera, READ THIS!

..........I'm not entirely sure why it matters whether or not I want picture recovery software.........

What do you do when a card becomes corrupt before you ingest the images into your computer? The images only reside on the card at that point. For whatever reason, the card becomes corrupt (or someone accidently reformats your card).

That is the point of this thread. Have a plan in place before this happens.

..........I'm not entirely sure why it matters whether or not I want picture recovery software.........

What do you do when a card becomes corrupt before you ingest the images into your computer? The images only reside on the card at that point. For whatever reason, the card becomes corrupt (or someone accidently reformats your card).

I meant, what does it matter if I personally don't feel that the software is useful to me? I understand that it is good to have a plan in place beforehand. I get it, I do, I do, I do. I was never implying that this isn't a good, logical option. For me, it's just overkill (for my own purposes)because I don't rely on the pictures on my SD card for either money or sentiment. My reason for asking the question was to find out if there were non-software-buying options for preventing the loss of images from an SD card.

My negatives are usually my backup... lol I'm only on my third media card, if I have to buy more eventually maybe I'll need to back up more. Now I do take out the media card and get copies of the photos onto my computer after I'm done shooting for the day or after a series of shots. And actually got an external hard drive. You're probably right Sparky if you shoot anything you want to be sure to save it's probably important to back up.

I did take one series of photos of an abandoned building that I did in B&W versions and had one accepted into a juried exhibit. Those are the ones that besides making prints of them, prompted me to start backing up. And I wanted to go back sometime and shoot it on B&W film and discovered the building was torn down so I'm glad I made sure I have copies. Now I want to learn how to make digital negatives of about 4 of that series...

My prints are another back up of sorts for me too, if I have certain photos saved in more than one way I'll have copies of what's important to me. Much of what I've shot digitally isn't anything that I'd be too concerned about losing, most of it was at first learning how to use the camera and later has been a good bit of playing around with the camera or taking pictures of something that's local and I could reshoot if I had to. I usually take along a film camera so that's more or less a back up. Select photos I print and have on the computer and still on the original media card.

Ive got CF cards that are 10 years old and never had a problem

A scientific survey of one is hardly useful.

I use my digital cameras to hold doors open, my negs are in a fire proof cabinet

Which will only prevent fire.

Heat will kill them, though.

Sparky - it's really not a problem. I've got the Delorean parked in the garage in case the images go bad. And IT has a second SD card. Not taking responsibility for screwed-up timelines tho.

I've had SD cards go bad on me. As in they worked fine, worked fine, then all the sudden camera can't write to it, computer can't read or see it. (Twice this has happened to me).

I tend to be more proactive on image storing. Soon as I take images off my camera or SD card and it's on my hard drive, it's auto synced/copied to a second drive off premise. Routine backups of this means I keep 4 copies of everything rather than relying on the SD card image. I use a revision system for different versions or tweaks of my images which also get mirrored and backed up. Various crc checks will prevent corruption from being replicated out.

Just another opinion...

A scientific survey of one is hardly useful.

I use my digital cameras to hold doors open, my negs are in a fire proof cabinet

Which will only prevent fire.

Heat will kill them, though.

To be honest i couldnt care less if one failed i would just go and buy another

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions

Back