If you went camping/hiking for 5 days/4 nights would you...

If you went camping/hiking for 5 days/4 nights would you...

• Take a dedicated photography backpack

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Take a dedicated camping/hiking backpack and buy inserts for your photography equipment?

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

phild2k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Quick poll for all you photographers out there (especially you landscape photographers).

The photo backpacks that I've seen, don't leave much room for clothes and food, they were camera only.

If I was carrying all my gear, tents, mat, food etc it'd be a proper hiking backpack. I already have dry bags for my photography gear, so I'd wrap it in the drybag in some inserts. If it's just a day job I'd take a photography backpack, largley because I have one and I know I'm happy doing most hikes with it thogh if it were particularly strenuous I'd consider getting a small hiking one. Gear can get really heavy on a long one and slow you down so cutting down to just the essentials is a good idea. Also make sure you can secure your tripod to the backpack well whichever one you go for.

Are you carrying your tent and such and backpack camping? If it’s this option, you need a dedicated hiking pack with some sort of internal or external frame.

Or are you camping in a campground and going on day hikes? If it’s this, a camera backpack could easily be sufficient.

I’m currently prepping for a 3 night 35 mile backpacking trip with my camera gear; so I’ve been thinking about this a lot.

A few thoughts

1) Most camera back packs have little to no room for other items. They are very focused around holding camera gear which means if you've got to get all your other supplies in there as well then you will run out of space very fast. If you are not far from a car that's fine, but if you're properly camping a long way of into the wildernes then chances are you want bag dedicated to your survival gear and supplies FIRST and FOREMOST.

2) Camera backpacks are great, but honestly they are not magical. Which is to say that if your lens is in the padded case it came with, or is in a case or wrapped in a good few clothes chances are its pretty safe. Ergo pack it well and it should be fine.
Make sure nothing will bang into your gear; make sure that its well away from water and any meths or other liquid fuel you might have for fires (I recall being taught that you put a bag liner in your bag and outside the liner you put your meths bottle and inside the liner you put all your dry items - thus if you get a leak it only affects the bag not your clothes, food, supplies.

3) If you are operating from one single camping site chances are you can take a smaller bag along with you, something that might even be empty on your main journey to and from the camp site; but which you can transfer your camera gear into for your daily trips out away from the camp site. This just makes things more practical than lugging around a huge bag all the time and means you can leave your main gear bagged up at your campsite day to day.

In general your survival gear has to come first when it comes ot fitting the gear in; followed by your comfort. Dedicated hiking backpacks are well made to distribute weight and provide many access pockets and strap points to fit things like sleeping bags on the outside etc.... Most camera backpacks which are heavy duty are basically a box design made to hold camera gear; they can have some great harnesses, but will be really poor for stashing regular camping gear

Thanks guys, I think a dedicated camping/hiking bag would seem to be the way to go here.

I'm going to Colorado and hiking the Four Pass Loop Trail which takes between 4-5 days moving from campsite to campsite. My camera gear is a pretty lightweight.

- Hassalblad X1d
- XCD 30mm
- XCD 90mm
- RRS Travel Tripod
- Nisi Filter System + 5 filters
- Spare batteries and a charger
- iPad

I would take just my Sony a6300 with 16-50 kit lens and nothing more.

I have 4n/5d planned for Yellowstone this fall.

you lost me at camping and hiking for 5d/4n.
I rarely like to venture more than 15 mins from my car.
45 mins one way from my car is my maximum range.
unless I'm ranging around in a city...that's different.
Then I must be 30mins from nearest restaurant or coffee shop.

However, if this was a Zombie Apocalypse situation, I would carry m43 and keep the camera in a small pouch easily accessible.

What you might consider is doing a few days hiking local to you; where you can carry all the gear and such for your main trip to get an idea of how practical it all is. This is important in not just seeing if you can pack everything and carry it but also if its practical in terms of using the gear.

Eg you might find that yes you've got your camera packed, but its such that you end up never taking it out of the bag to take photos. Or that taking photos slows you up way too much to achieve your target distance for the day. A couple of days practice walking can tell you all those things, plus give you ideas on how to better pack, work and make use of your camera so that when the main trip comes you've already some experience under your belt and can start off on the right foot and do well.

Thanks guys, I think a dedicated camping/hiking bag would seem to be the way to go here.

I'm going to Colorado and hiking the Four Pass Loop Trail which takes between 4-5 days moving from campsite to campsite. My camera gear is a pretty lightweight.

- Hassalblad X1d
- XCD 30mm
- XCD 90mm
- RRS Travel Tripod
- Nisi Filter System + 5 filters
- Spare batteries and a charger
- iPad

OK, your're hiking with a Hassablad camera and lens ... yeah, small and lightweight, enjoy that "hike" !
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

The X1d is a mirrorless handheld - its small for a Hassy (though its got something like an £8000 price tag so its suitably big in price ;)). So its not totally beyond reason for a hike.

And what do you plan on plugging the chargers into?

Your ether going to want a solar charger or one of those new fangled camp stoves that burns twigs to generate power for a USB port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what do you plan on plugging the chargers into?

Your ether going to want a solar charger or one of those new fangled camp stoves that burns twigs to generate power for a USB port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Omni charge unit, super light, compact and and contains more than enough juice to keep me firing the full 4 days.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back