Roger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mrlowlight.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
543674383_cEUf3-L.jpg

This is a nice one - and a perfect example for the good and necessary use of a fill light! And it is THAT opera house... the next thread is about Rome so I wasn't expecting to see THIS opera house in the background. But we'll get to see more photos from your trip "home", I hope! ;)

This is a nice one - and a perfect example for the good and necessary use of a fill light! And it is THAT opera house... the next thread is about Rome so I wasn't expecting to see THIS opera house in the background. But we'll get to see more photos from your trip "home", I hope! ;)

thanks Corinna....looks like it's only you and me that like this one.

Yes, the TPF crowd has become a tough one... I know...

I suspect the lack of comments comes from the tendency for people to sometimes keep quiet if they don't have much positive to say. :( I saw this thread and I watched it because I was curious what others would say.

Corinna, being the awesome gal that she is, can always find something positive to say... as usual, she did so here.

As a snapshot, this is fine. It's a pic of a time presumably spent with the wife or a member of the family or something. Presupposing you have some sort of emotional connection with the person and that moment, this works, but this is a photography forum and people will tend to pan snapshots a bit... or just keep quiet about it to try to spare your feelings.

That being said, there are some potentially interesting things to the shot... the arch. of that building is always cool, the ascending stairs has some potential along with the line of that railing, etc. So you might have been able to do more with this than you did... different pose of your subject, more smooth fill flash, not having your subject absolute dead-center and facing the camera with the big "he's taking a snapshot of me, is my hair ok?" look on her face :), etc.

I suspect the lack of comments comes from the tendency for people to sometimes keep quiet if they don't have much positive to say. :( I saw this thread and I watched it because I was curious what others would say.

Corinna, being the awesome gal that she is, can always find something positive to say... as usual, she did so here.

As a snapshot, this is fine. It's a pic of a time presumably spent with the wife or a member of the family or something. Presupposing you have some sort of emotional connection with the person and that moment, this works, but this is a photography forum and people will tend to pan snapshots a bit... or just keep quiet about it to try to spare your feelings.

That being said, there are some potentially interesting things to the shot... the arch. of that building is always cool, the ascending stairs has some potential along with the line of that railing, etc. So you might have been able to do more with this than you did... different pose of your subject, more smooth fill flash, not having your subject absolute dead-center and facing the camera with the big "he's taking a snapshot of me, is my hair ok?" look on her face :), etc.

thanks for your comments and I agree that more could have been made of the shot, it was done quickly and for me the position of the sails and the stairs appealed.

Excellent contrast and energy from the image itself!

thanks very much roentarre.

This is a great shot, and has a lot of potential! Right now the most diminishing factor about it is the fact that the eye is naturally attracted to light, and the subject being in the darker area of the photo gets lost slightly.

I know you can't really retake this shot (assuming you're traveling? And having lots of fun apparently :) ) but next time consider where the lightest area is in your photo, for instance having her a bit higher on the stairs where it is slightly lighter would make the image flow better :)

I hope this helps a bit! And being new here I'm not really sure if people appreciate criticism however I guess I'll find out if people start running at me with pitch forks xD

Most reactions

New Topics

Back