Ilford FP4+ and HP5+ and Rodinal?

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just want to ask if anyone has experience with the 125 FP4+ or 400 HP5+ in combination with Rodinal.

I know these are rather standard films, but I never used them before. And I wonder if it makes sense to develop any of the two in Rodinal as I heard a lot of bad things about the combination (especially for the HP5: "extreme grain").

I have to say this is on 35mm, I am currently shooting 2 rolls, maybe some more and there will be no need to push or pull. I wonder if I should get some different developer.

I souped a lot of 35mm Tri-X 400 in Rodinal diluted around 1:100. It works well using 10 second agitation on the minute, for around 14 minutes, at 20 degress Centigrade.

The grain it produces is of high acutance...crisp,well-defined, blatantly obvious GRAIN.

Honestly...I think D-76 diluted 1:1 with water, or HC-110 Dilution B makes a better negative.

Hmm, thanks Derrel, sounds like one more vote against the combination with Rodinal.

Maybe I'll try it later just for testing purposes, but not for those rolls I am currently filling.

I never cared for Rodinal too much grain, (sharp or not) Been using Hc110 for a very long time and have my students use it as well. A few years ago I began to use Pryo-cat HD for my personal work, even for 35mm film and had some folks think I was crazy, but it gave me very sharp negatives and when that happened they shut up. Oh, and this is with semi-stand development.

It was basically invented for LF negatives for alternative process printing, so I figured what was good for platinum prints would be good enough for my traditional ones as well :)

Most reactions

Back