Ilford MGIV RC Chenical Smell

Elenarain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am using Ilford MGIV RC De Luxe for lumen prints in a contact frame. After about 30 minutes in the sun, the paper (and everything it contacts) develops a really terrible strong chemical smell that does not diminish after fixing or copious rinsing. It still has this terrible odor over a month later. Is this paper not appropriate for this process .. am I missing a step? I’m getting beautiful images but can’t handle the smell. BTW I am using a combination of organic and inorganic materials for exposure.. doesn’t seem to matter..

I've done lumen prints, and I've never had anything like that happen. Although I'm doing lumen prints with vintage paper, and leave them on a table in a window for minutes, hours, days... (long exposures because some of the color gets washed out in the fixer). I've used Ilford paper in the darkroom.

The only thing I can think of is that for lumen prints I use diluted fixer, maybe 1:9 parts fixer to water. In the darkroom though I've used the usual strength fixer, and prints can float around in that for some time and be fine. I mean, you can smell the fixer but once the prints are dry I've never noticed any lingering strong smell.

You could try AlternativePhotography.com . Or try asking on Home - The Film Photography Project , ask Leslie (whose user name I can't remember offhand). Or maybe try APUG (which has changed but if you search you may find their new site, it was called analog photograhy users group).

Most reactions

Back