Ilford SFX Film Question

benjyman345

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi,

I have a roll of Inford SFX 200. I know it is a B&W film with extended sensitivity into the near infrared at 740nm.

I have never used this film before and was wondering what is the best use for this film? Should I use any filters? I think they suggest red - what strength? Does the in-built camera metre work sufficently for this film or do I need to take into account any exposure errors?
Also I believe you develop this film in the normal processes in the darkroom? If there is any other information I should know about it please let me know.

Thanks!

Because the film's sensitivity does not extend all that far into the IR portion of the spectrum, you'll need a darker filter if you want it to produce truly IR-looking shots. If you look at the actual SFX filters made my Ilford, they're very dark, probably akin to a 29 or so. You can shoot it with a lighter filter, like a 25, but you aren't going to see that big of a difference between it and regular b&w film.

Check out the fact sheet here:
http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2007321132823302.pdf

Also, be aware that some cameras use an IR sensor to count frames when advancing the film. This will fog the IR film.

Yeah but SFX rolls off around 740nm. There's no way an IR sensor is going to output light at that short a wavelength. I would worry about that, on the other hand, with something like HIE or 820c, but not SFX.

I've shot the stuff with my Pentax MZ-S, and the infrared film advance sensor had zero effect with that film.

I got nice IR effects with a #25, but I would agree if you wanted them more pronounced, a darker red filter will give you that. If all you have is a #25, though, give it a try too.

I'm glad somebody posted about this film.
I'm about to buy some B&W film and thought I might pick some of this up.
I think it might pick up a few rolls now to go with the fp4/hp5 I get :D

Yeah but SFX rolls off around 740nm. There's no way an IR sensor is going to output light at that short a wavelength. I would worry about that, on the other hand, with something like HIE or 820c, but not SFX.

I've shot the stuff with my Pentax MZ-S, and the infrared film advance sensor had zero effect with that film.

I stand corrected and I am glad to learn that I can use SFX in my Canon EOS 50E.

I have been unable to find any red filters abover 25a unless I buy an Infrared filter, which blocks all visible light.

Just a thought.... if I placed two 25a Red filters on top of each other would this work? If so what would it be equivalent too?

Thanks

The Wratten 25 (it used to be called the 'A') has a 50% absorption wavelength of 600 nm. At longer wavelengths there is very little absorption, so stacking two of them together won't move the 50% wavelength very much.

The Wratten 29 has a 50% absorption at 620 nm. The B+W 091 is a 630 nm filter. Both these can be seen through.

Most people can just see through the B+W 092 (50% @ 695 nm) but very dimly.

Best,
Helen

So what filter should I look out for this film?

I know 25A will be fine but I want something which will enhance the IR a bit more and create a mroe dramatic effect.

When I search B&W 091 filter I can only find the Cokin P091 Dream Diffuser Filter.

thanks

I have found an R72. (I believe thats a dedicated IR filter)

Is that overkill?

No. Ilford recommends the use of an opaque filter for "maximum effect" IIRC their wording.

Most reactions

Back