I'll try this again - 1st post - comments welcome

tahmail

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
DSC_0041.jpg

Contrasting colors are interesting, but I don't really care for the composition.

It's biggish on my monitor, so I can't take in the whole image at once. Could you post a smaller version?

From what I can tell, the different textures and colors work out really well. It looks a little soft to me, and could maybe benefit from sharpening. I don't know. It's a beautiful image, but for some reason it doesn't grab me. Perhaps a closer crop, just slightly, leaving out some of the sky, would help bring up the contrasting textures within the scene. What aperture did you use to shoot this scene?

What would you do differently? (Framing was not available).

Sometimes it is not possible to get an interesting picture with the combination of scenery, light, color, lenses. That's why large format photographers, who have only a few and expensive shots to use, do lots of scouting of location and time before they do exposures.

Here you have essentially uninteresting, non-dramatic scene that is captured by the camera but doesn't capture the mind.

I think there are some real opportunities with subject. When I see such a warm subject against a cool background, I know there's a great color shot. Maybe a different time of day... with the sun at a greater angle. I'm sure you walked around this rock to see different perspectivs.

Pete

Sometimes it is not possible to get an interesting picture with the combination of scenery, light, color, lenses. That's why large format photographers, who have only a few and expensive shots to use, do lots of scouting of location and time before they do exposures.

Here you have essentially uninteresting, non-dramatic scene that is captured by the camera but doesn't capture the mind.

Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines, too, but you just hit it right on the head. Why did this scene not work? It looks like a beautiful landscape, but it just doesn't make an interesting image for some reason.

Well, I looked at this a lot and came to the 'soft' conclusion that there is too much. There's an entire mountain in the back and an entire big rock in the front. Theres no tension, no dramatic shadows, no offsetting patterns, nothing to discover or think about. There's no hint of massive rock about to fall, no hidden canyons, no dramatic bluffs. Both rocks just sit there - the bastards.

What did you think of B&W I sent as PM?

I like this shot as well but not sure why. It could be the fact that it is so sharp and focused and I like the exposure.

With OPs approval, I diddled with this a little to look at it in B&W

Maybe a little more defocussing of background would inprove this take on it.

mountaindsc0041bwwh9.jpg

Most reactions

Back