I'm a Stupid Newb

Jose Cuervo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i noticed some "stuff" on one of my 55-200mm lens the other day and i tried to blow it off by using a compressed can of air. that didn't work. instead it just pushed whatever it was across the lens and it left a streak. so i had the bright idea of using a tissue to dab at it. well that didn't go well because now the lens looks worse after just 1 dab. i think i might've rubbed away some of the coating on the lens.

is it ok to just leave it there or should i look into buying a cleaning kit? i'm scared to mess with it again.

Get sone cleaning supplies, it's impossible to keep a lens clean and it will eventually need to be cleaned. I doubt you damaged the coating with whatever it was, the glass coatings are more durable than people give them credit. For now I would suggest a lens cloth with a little bit of windex, if that don't work try alchohol.

I don't know what kind of "tissue" you used on your lens. If it was a kleenex or some light cloth without any abrasive, chances are you didn't rub your coating off unless you sat their for an hour really applying pressuring and rubbing like mad.

Go to Amazon.com, search for "Eclipse" and "PEC pad". Buy both. One is a cleaning solution and the other is a lint free soft pad for wiping your lens. Neither will hurt your optics.

Next, search for "Giottos rocket" on Amazon. Buy this too. It will allow you to blow things off your lens/sensor without getting spit all over every thing. Don't just blow on your lens, you'll only make matters worse.

Keep a good cleaning kit near by ALWAYS. If you don't have one in your bag, you're not ready to go shooting that day.

it was a kleenex, with aloe. haha :)

yeah i'll pick up a kit soon. i was just worried that i permanently damaged the coating. thanks guys

Just a point - but DON'T use that compressed air on the camera sensor for cleaning - if you need proof why get some black cloth and spray that - you should see a fine white mist which is chemicals in the air used to help keep it compressed.
Now you don't want that on your camera sensor!

A Giottos Rocket blower is what your after - good and clean blower - its all just air!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back