I'm aching for some critique if you have a moment...

When I think of the term "Ethereal", it conjures up visions of bright, airy and SOFT light and SOFT images. You've gone in the opposite direction with your lighting for the very HARD light and HARD shadows casting your subjects more into the macabre. Instead of the light hearted, free flowing forms and virtue that would be expected, we see acute angles, dominating postures and subjects hidden behind masks.

You nailed "The Earthen" part.

This is actually the earthen part of earthen and ethereal. I've only got a couple prepared for ethereal, but they're not ready for c&c thanks for tge feedback. :) when I get home I'll post one from the ethereal part.

I reread the OP's description.....

On second opinion, you may have hit the mark of your vision with the subjects and their costumes. However, the lighting has not been your friend here.

Instead of waiting until it is dark(ish) outside, you can shoot these when there is daylight to give you plenty of ambient light for detail of the background, but adjust your settings to darken it slightly. That would put less demand from your one light, thus lightening their shadows with some more emphasis of the ethereal feeling. The addition of a couple of reflectors wouldn't hurt either.

This was actually mid noon, but in a shady cove. Thank you for the critique. I'm definitely goung to make a second light my next purchase.

Welcome to the forum! :) This is a good place to get C&C.
Interesting concepts. Not my style but I know people who love this kind of thing.

Thank you. :) I've reached a plateau of sorts in my self-learning and at this point, youtube tutorials and trial and error aren't cutting it. So far I've gotten enough critique that I know what my next step is.

I think the limblessness is an error, it's too jarring, and makes it look like amputees playing dressup. Pose to create the illusion of joints that work the wrong way, or something, perhaps.

Balancing the weirdness with the normal is important. There's a process called "suspension of disbelief" in play here, which requires a fairly delicate mixture of reality with fantasy to create something that we're willing to take as shown, without dismissing it as "fake looking" and without thinking (on the other end of the spectrum) that there's nothing much unusual here.

Lighting is what it is. I have no objection to it. It conveys a feeling as it is, which may or may not be what you want. It's definitely dramatic.

I agree, thank you. I feel like there's definitely something off as far as content. I originally didn't plan to remive the limbs, but her arms were so stiff, I just experimented. I'm going to take another shot at this shoot with more specific ideas for the models.

$IMG_4540take 4edit.jpg$IMG_6893 with logo high res.jpg$IMG_6652resized.jpgHere are some others from that series, the first being part of the ethereal section. Not really ready for c&c because I'm super aware of the wonky looking eyes hahaa

Most reactions

Back