I'm an idiot. -- Lens Hoods??

Monster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
lens_hood.jpg

What are they actually for? -- Preventing glare on the lens from light hitting it from the sides?

When do you use them?
Can you use them all the time? or are there certain instances where you shouldn't use one.

I use mine ALL the time.

Yep they stop light from flaring, no reason to take one off unless it doesn't fit in your camera bag ;-)

lens_hood.jpg

What are they actually for? -- Preventing glare on the lens from light hitting it from the sides?

In a word, yes - use them as often as you can.

If you think when you go outside in bright sunlight, and you put your hand up to shade the sun from your eyes, everything becomes clearer and more saturated, thats exactly the same effect of a lens hood on the lens.

Even in potentially low light situations you can still get some stray light, and the more you keep off, the better.

Times when you can't use one? probably when you're using something like cokin or lee filter systems, but you can still shade the camera and lens while you are using them - use a sheet, shirt, whatever really.

hth

I use mine all the time. They raise contrast outside, but more importantly (in my case) they offer a level of protection. I bang into walls and all kinds of other stuff that is not good for lenses, and rather than scratching the glass I put on the hood. It keeps the glass a nice safe distance from whatever ugly surface I happen to be hurrying past. (No, I don't want to use a filter. Yes, I know a lot of people can point to research that proves filters don't affect images.)

I use my hoods more for protection than to fight flare. If you bump your lens against something, the hood gets dinged, not the glass.

Thanks fellas.
I'm definitely going to have to treat myself to one.

Well it'll always fit over the filter, but some cases with a polarized filter you'll want to rotate, but you won't be able to rotate the filter due to it being recessed into the hood.

EDIT: also if you are using a really wide lens coupled with a shallow hood to keep from vignetting, the filter's glass may be out of the shadow of the hood and pick up new glare.

There's several different lens hoods. The one above is mounted to the lens before the filter mounting. These are normally specific for the lens and harder to get aftermarket. The other type actually screws into the filter threadding on the lens. The problem here is they are typically pretty thick and can cause vignetting (black in the corner of the frame) if you stack another filter on them.

dumb question, but im new. Are all lense hoods reversable like this?
BSC_0273.jpg

Bayonet hoods usually are. Screw mount ones aren't.

Stay away from the screw mount hoods.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back