I'm back for more advice...

bigtuna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy again,
I am the newbie that a week or so ago asked for help when buying a camera for school. I had the options limited because I wanted a point and shoot camera that could fit in my pocket because that way I would have it on me more to take pictures. Then I realized there may be a few problems with my logic:

A. It will mostly be for a photography class and when I personally want to take pictures, so I will make time to take pictures anyways.

2. If I bought a camera simply to carry with me all the time in my pocket in case I see something I want to shoot, I will probably forget about it and cause some sort of harm to it sooner or later.

and

III. Lack of controls would suck and not make up for convenience.

So I come to you once agian frequent TPF members. I know you are all full of great advice and just wanting to help out and show of your mad photography know-how. So any camera is open game now..

(oh, except for my spending limit is still located around the $250 mark...
Remember, this isnt for a profession, I wont need a ton of lenses and what not, just a decent picture taking camera with good controls, Think of it as a Challenge! :wink:)

I don't think that you'll be able to get and SLR for that low of a budget. You can look into Point-and-Shoots that are SLR like in their build. The Panasonic Lumixes, Canon has two of them, Sony has a few, Canon, Kodak, and Fujifilm. Do your research and look at each one of them.

For $250 you can definitely get a _film_ SLR + Lenses on eBay, but you're not going to find a dSLR (digital SLR) with lenses for $250.

I bought my Olympus E-500 with 2 lenses at the store for $650 when Olympus was bringing out their newer cameras to replace it, so I got a good deal. You're not likely to find something better than that, unless it's a _much_ older dSLR camera (say a few years old)

Addendum: for Point & Shoot cameras, I recommend Canon. The Powershot series are very good (my wife has one) and though you can not switch lenses, they do offer manual controls just like an SLR camera (Manual, Aperture Priority, etc).

Here is a link to the Canon PS A570. The Canadian price is $250, and even though the CDN and US$ are pretty much the same at the moment, it's probably cheaper in the US.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/st...rtmentId=10404&categoryId=10429&itemID=191152

Most reactions

Back