I'm BACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the... :biglaugh:

Welcome back, you damn troublemaker, you. :hug:: Wanna rave?!?

:biglaugh:

Don't rave anymore. Found the one. Started a real photo business. And now I'm back. Maybe.

Haven't decided if I can stand forum antics anymore. To many anonymous opinions.

Glad to see you're still here though!

I'm not unlike the dirt along the baseboards...hard to get rid of. :mrgreen:

I was kidding about the rave stuff. I'm seriously thrilled to hear you've got someone special, and the photo business is going well. As I recall, you were shooting fairly regularly for money the last time you blew through here, and your work was already very good back then. So congrats on the success.

Don't sweat the forum antics. On the whole this place does all right.

Getting paid to shoot, and getting paid enough to pay bills are very different. Thanks to some great marketing and giveaways, and some growing up, the latter is now reality.

The real reason is that I'm basically unemployable at any other job. I can really only work for myself lol. At least then it's my fault when I'm working with idiots. LOL.

As for the forum, I was hoping I could give back or something. But I look at the critique threads and I can't stand the people critiquing.

Is there anyway to allow certain members to critique? Or maybe I should just start blocking members all together. That way I'll never see their posts...hmmmm

In certain ways, the forum remains the same - a lot of entry-level folks who aren't certain of what they are doing, or what they are trying to achieve, still post their work in the Galleries. There are varying degrees of how they accept or interpret the C&C that is offered to them.

And as you already know, some people aren't certain how to offer critique and it can get dicey. If you've prowled around a little, you might already have a few names to add to your Ignore list. (Still the best tool around to help keep the forum peace, though I don't think it's used nearly enough.) ;)

Maybe I'll just cause a ruckus like last time....

Had a lot more time on my hands 4 years ago thats for sure.

Don't rave anymore. Found the one. Started a real photo business. And now I'm back. Maybe.

Haven't decided if I can stand forum antics anymore. To many anonymous opinions.

Glad to see you're still here though!

I'm not unlike the dirt along the baseboards...hard to get rid of. :mrgreen:

I was kidding about the rave stuff. I'm seriously thrilled to hear you've got someone special, and the photo business is going well. As I recall, you were shooting fairly regularly for money the last time you blew through here, and your work was already very good back then. So congrats on the success.

Don't sweat the forum antics. On the whole this place does all right.

Getting paid to shoot, and getting paid enough to pay bills are very different. Thanks to some great marketing and giveaways, and some growing up, the latter is now reality.

The real reason is that I'm basically unemployable at any other job. I can really only work for myself lol. At least then it's my fault when I'm working with idiots. LOL.

As for the forum, I was hoping I could give back or something. But I look at the critique threads and I can't stand the people critiquing.

Is there anyway to allow certain members to critique? Or maybe I should just start blocking members all together. That way I'll never see their posts...hmmmm

its a balance here, ya know....
sometimes you just have to find some middle ground between the people that think their opinion is the gospel, and the people that think their work too good for critique.
It also helps when you find the people capable of discerning the difference between "critique" and "criticism" :sexywink:

One of the big problems I had here was that most people felt that their personal preference was what everyone else should consider at all times.

Instead of appreciating someones personal style all they point out is how they would have shot it.

That's not critique, that's just telling us how you would have done things instead of finding out what someone was going for and understanding their goals from the shot.

I think a major flaw in the forum is that so far the format is "here's what I shot" as opposed to "here's what I was going for, and this is what I got".

But then what do I know. I only know that after leaving here and actually finding my own way, I'm now back....

One of the big problems I had here was that most people felt that their personal preference was what everyone else should consider at all times.

Instead of appreciating someones personal style all they point out is how they would have shot it.

That's not critique, that's just telling us how you would have done things instead of finding out what someone was going for and understanding their goals from the shot.

I think a major flaw in the forum is that so far the format is "here's what I shot" as opposed to "here's what I was going for, and this is what I got".

But then what do I know. I only know that after leaving here and actually finding my own way, I'm now back....

well, that is all just a personal opinion as well. :sexywink:
everyone looks at a photo and wonders "gee, what would I have done"?
I don't think there's anything wrong with looking at a posted photo and telling the photographer what you would have done.
appreciating someones style and giving ideas on how you would have handled it are not mutually exclusive. Its a great way to grow as a photographer.
Thats the "format" of a forum. To post photos, exchange ideas, and use what you like. whats the point of posting your work if all you want is "good job" and "nice shot"?
you could get that from FaceBook. :lol:

You just repeated exactly what I just said. Except you think it's great and I don't.

Thank you. For spending that time to repeat me.

My point is that if the format were changed slightly and people could post something they were going for as well, then people could tell them how to get there. Instead of telling them how THEY would get there. A point that in most cases is useless to someone looking to develop a certain style.

You just repeated exactly what I just said. Except you think it's great and I don't.

My point is that if the format were changed slightly and people could post something they were going for as well, then people could tell them how to get there. Instead of telling them how THEY would get there. A point that in most cases is useless to someone looking to develop a certain style.

Well, I didn't read where Pix said he thought it was great, per se - just that for many people, especially those new to photography, it can help them think through a shot and how to get better.

I personally don't look at that many shots and ponder how *I* would have done it. Regardless - it's not so much a "posting format" here, just how you want your own work to be viewed. If you posted your own work and wanted to offer up what you were going for, that would be welcomed, really. TPF no longer has the "critique" forums it did in days past - you might be recalling some of that. We tried to split a lot of hairs and failed miserably.

I'm trying to fit in. I already find myself ruffling feathers. My opinion is just too loud. And I'm obviously right. All the time. Mostly.

where exactly does it say in the TPF rules that the "format" is what you say it is? as far as I am aware, there are no rules governing how you address any given photo.
also, for the record, I never said it was great...i just said that's the way it is.
I think, that the easiest way to get what you are looking for, is to simply state what you want in the post. Post a picture, and describe exactly what sort of feedback (if any) you want.

I think a major flaw with people posting photos, is that they post with little to no information about it (what the intent was, what they were going for, etc etc) and then get bent out of shape when they don't get the exact reaction they were looking for.

my point is...the more you put into what you want in a post, the more people are likely to give it to you. otherwise, we are just guessing.
maybe im missing something here, go easy on me Im a Paramedic, not a photographer, but what is the point of posting a picture to a photography forum if not to get other peoples opinions on it?

You might have to explain "critique" to me as well, because i have been under the assumption that it was giving your personal opinion on a photo, as apposed to just appreciating it and saying "nice shot". Now, if you want to talk about drug dosages and ventilator settings....I could go on for hours about tidal volumes, drip sets, and titrating effects...

:lol: I'm just used to you, and I can assure you you're not the only one with a loud opinion here. Besides, I'm pretty sure you're sussing up the old Crit forums and all that associated crap about how best to present your work...it was a nightmare. Didn't we have "Technical Critique" as well as "General", or something? We were trying to make it to where a poster could simply ask someone to edit their stuff and explain how they did it, as opposed to actually viewing the more aesthetic features of the photo.

Some people loved it, others hated it. Some people like to post an image without saying a word, others like to state what they intended and include tech details, etc...it's never one size fits all. :)

Which is why I was saying, if you want to add a preamble about your work in any of the Galleries, you should. People need to feel comfortable when they post their work about what they are expecting others to comment on...or, not. :razz:

BTW, i did take a peek at your site. wonderful work. I suspect there is little to nothing I could possibly add as far as critique goes except my personal feelings on it, and of course, "great shot".

Oh, we posted too close together, Jason. You never saw the old Critique forums, which I think is what Paul is recalling, and there really was a specific format for the damn things. It's all just kind of flung into the "Gallery" section these days. :)

Easier in some ways (post by category) but as far as expectations, it's not made clear compared to what TPF used to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back