I'm BACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, we posted too close together, Jason. You never saw the old Critique forums, which I think is what Paul is recalling, and there really was a specific format for the damn things. It's all just kind of flung into the "Gallery" section these days. :)

Easier in some ways (post by category) but as far as expectations, it's not made clear compared to what TPF used to have.

really? sounds dreadful.

Oh, we posted too close together, Jason. You never saw the old Critique forums, which I think is what Paul is recalling, and there really was a specific format for the damn things. It's all just kind of flung into the "Gallery" section these days. :)

Easier in some ways (post by category) but as far as expectations, it's not made clear compared to what TPF used to have.

really? sounds dreadful.

Dreadful it was, yes. :sillysmi:

I guess I've seen a bit of the same here and thought nothing had changed. I've looked about a bit. Posting photos here seems a bit redundant (for me), but I've posted one. More so to weed out a few people who post for the sake of posting and block them.

Is that wrong?

p.s. Jason, I could probably talk about drugs for days . LOL.

I think a major flaw in the forum is that so far the format is "here's what I shot" as opposed to "here's what I was going for, and this is what I got". But.....
Welcome back... And I don't know you from a hole in the ground... But I think you're spot on with your remark... I'm pretty new here, and have been out of photography since the days of HP5... But have been enjoying learning how to use a dslr in the past few months... Decades ago I might not have been a photographer but I was considered to have a pretty good eye... And usually knew what it was I was trying to do... Sometimes without success (ok... More than sometimes) but at least I had a bit of a plan of what it was I was trying to do on a shoot... Many times it changed but I still had a plan...

I think it would be great if new posters, and old posters alike gave is a wee precis of what it was they were trying to do with their images as opposed to just "here's what I shot, what do you think" cuz this opens it up for whatever interpretation it gets, and often leads to personal feelings getting in the way of constructive criticism... With a plan stated it would be much easier to critique and IMO a better learning experience.

Good to have you back, whoever you are😉

I guess I've seen a bit of the same here and thought nothing had changed. I've looked about a bit. Posting photos here seems a bit redundant (for me), but I've posted one. More so to weed out a few people who post for the sake of posting and block them.

Is that wrong?

OMG..if only more people would use the Ignore feature! :lmao:
how much easier life would be here...

I don't do a lot of photography, (i second shoot occasionally, and do some portraits) but when i do post here, its so i can get advice on what i can do to improve.
its worth it for me because there are plenty of people far above my skill level that can help me improve. its a sliding curve though, and you reach a point where you are just posting to show your latest work, and not so much for actual feedback. not that its bad of course, we all enjoy seeing good work.

Is that wrong?

OMG..if only more people would use the Ignore feature! :lmao:
how much easier life would be here...

I have learned to truly love the Ignore feature. I haven't used it very often, but oh, it's lovely! :)

I have learned to truly love the Ignore feature. I haven't used it very often, but oh, it's lovely! :)

Yes but you miss out on so much fun!

Ps can you see this or am I on L's list?

Nah, I still get to watch the fun, but this way, I'm not infected by the worst-smelling crap. Every once in a while, I'm curious enough to give into temptation and view the hidden post, and it was never worth it.

Just don't ever become a massive blowhard and you'll stay off my list. :lmao:

I think a major flaw in the forum is that so far the format is "here's what I shot" as opposed to "here's what I was going for, and this is what I got".

This is, and always has been, the problem with critique around here. You can set all sorts of guidelines but when the people posting for critique don't put enough effort into their request for critique, the whole system falls apart. And the more strictly you try to enforce the guidelines, to keep the system from falling apart, the more the posters resent the heavy moderation.

Believe me, Terri and I have seen it all. We tried and tried to have a functioning critique section, it just doesn't work here. Possibly it's because we have such a high percentage of new members (who are often new photographers). On one hand, it's unfortunate that we can't, as a group, make it work....but on the other hand, the constant inflow of new members means that we must be doing something right.

I believe I have hit a wall. You can't ignore moderators. Sorry TPF, but if you have incredibly bad photographers giving critique as "moderators" (a term that gives some validity to their work in a place like this), and I can't ignore their completely baseless opinions, I can't stick around.

I'm sure I'll get banned now anyway seeing as I just told said person where to go.

For the record, I think your moderators should all be qualified to be giving opinions on others work, or not give it at all.

I've met a lot of surgeons with 'God complexes' but this is my first time meeting a photographer with one. Very interesting.

I'm sure I'll get banned now anyway seeing as I just told said person where to go.

Why did you "come back" if this was your intended goal in the first place?

Am I the only one who finds the irony in he fact that he complains about people posting photos "just to see what others think," and in the first photo thread he's posted in four years he "just wants to see what people think."

Classic.

If it makes you feel any better you are on my I list, so I never see any of your posts .... oh wait .. :scratch:

I believe I have hit a wall. You can't ignore moderators. Sorry TPF, but if you have incredibly bad photographers giving critique as "moderators" (a term that gives some validity to their work in a place like this), and I can't ignore their completely baseless opinions, I can't stick around.

For the record, I think your moderators should all be qualified to be giving opinions on others work, or not give it at all.

Very nice. So glad to have you back.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back