I'm baffled.....

Txaggie08

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm not a brilliant photographer by any means, but I have done a bit of good work, and I can handle the camera well enough to do what is needed(I think I sell myself short compared to a lot of what I see passed off as "professional").

I have not yet begun shooting weddings, I absolutely refuse to deliver an inferior product to a customer that can't be "done again". I can do it, I have the gear, I'm just not willing to sink to the cheap and dirty level.....

That being said, I volunteered to shoot a wedding for free this weekend. The girl did not have an actual photographer coming and could not afford one, So I told her I would be happy to come(it's a friend of a friend) and do it. Win/win for both of us, I get a wedding to put in my portfolio, she gets high quality, well edited images from a dedicated photographer.

I get a call back from her today, and discover that her family(two cousins specifically) that where originally going to take some pictures for her are offended that someone else is coming to shoot, and are demanding that I not "interfere" with there photos. Now talking to her, the girl has no idea what she's getting with me, no idea what a fully outfitted SLR does and looks like. I'm absolutely dumbfounded that a gift, and a pretty large on in reality, from a friend is being treated so poorly....

Now the real question is, have you ever dealt with a situation where family absolutely refuse to let you do your job without snapping there own flash pictures? I'll have a pair of 580's, one on camera and one off. I'm concerned that this may quickly degenerate into stupidity...

I also have a question on bridals shots. This is what you we call where I'm from a "shotgun" wedding of sorts, the bride is 7 months pregnant. What in the blasted hell do I do for individual bridal shots? Should I just shoot the traditional style of shot, or try to minimize the "bump"?

I think I bit off more than I want in this.....

I don't, have never and seriously doubt I will ever shoot a wedding. So take everything that follows with a large block of salt. But a few things that caught my attention.

I get a call back from her today, and discover that her family(two cousins specifically) that where originally going to take some pictures for her are offended that someone else is coming to shoot, and are demanding that I not "interfere" with there photos.
This is her day, please respect that and do not add to the stress she will obviously already be laddened with.

Now talking to her, the girl has no idea what she's getting with me, no idea what a fully outfitted SLR does and looks like. I'm absolutely dumbfounded that a gift, and a pretty large on in reality, from a friend is being treated so poorly....
Are you sure the cousins are ill equipped? She (the bride) may not have any idea, but it is not a prerequisite.

Put yourself in her shoes. She is feeling pressure from family. While your "gift" was surely appreciated at the time, the situation seems to have changed. You did not have a contract, there is no loss of income and you are not out of pocket with expenses.

Now the real question is, have you ever dealt with a situation where family absolutely refuse to let you do your job without snapping there own flash pictures? I'll have a pair of 580's, one on camera and one off. I'm concerned that this may quickly degenerate into stupidity...
Your equipment list has now become irrelevant. Play nice and be the perfect guest. Take your camera, take some shots, but mostly, get it out of your head that you are the photographer. Hopefully you can provide her with some really nice photos of her special day as a gift, maybe some 11x14 prints. Who knows.... if your stuff blows her away, then think of new born shots and subsequent family shots that may arise. This should not be considered as a loss, but as an opportunity for the future.

I think I bit off more than I want in this.....
Swallow. The meal has finished, you just aren't picking up the check.

what you could do.. is if the family would like to take there own snapshots let them since you are doing it as a learning expariance just tell the bride that I will take longer to get better pics with other people talking shots... but if she is ok with it lets say the shoot taking like 20% more time then you can get the couples to pose take a few then let other shoot as well... it will be annoying but hey if it makes everyone happy then its worth it. obviously with your DSLR it will look alot better and people might just leave you alone and not get in the way especially if you would have a few shoot through ubrellas set up.

I'm planning to shoot this like I would a catholic or Presbyterian wedding and probably not shoot during the ceremony and re stage most of it at the end.

I wouldn't be angry about it, but I'm out 65 dollars in gas and a weekend off from work for it to happen....

I had the same kinda sorta thing happen a long wile back. I was asked to be the photog but declined, said I would be there and get a few good shots but did not want the position. I showed up early to scope out the church and set up lights in good but outa sight locations. Well it was for nothing as no flash was allowed. The main photog was her Aunt , well the priest showed up and informed me no flash, I say OK no problem Ill shoot ambient but I am not the main photog I am a guest that just happens to be one. The priest tell Aunty shoot ambient only. "Errr Uaaa whats that" ~ No flash ~ Errr ummm it cant be turned off.

Well I shot the ceramony and they were glad I was there to do so.

I know one cousin has something made by kodak, so i don't expect it to last through the ceremony.....

It should be illegal for that company to continue selling digitals, I bet I see 15 a week broken, and I only work 15hrs a week....

Oh well, I get to go to the Alamo and downtown San Antonio on my roommate Sunday :)

As much as it may annoy you: Do. NOT. Get. Between. A. Bride. And. Her. Family. And. Her. Wedding. DON'T!

Oh trust me, I'm not even going to fight any fight, much less the good fight. My roomy is ready to murder her, I'm just going to go take pictures and have fun experimenting with multiple flash units. It was just WTF kind of moment...

Made it back in today.

I finally met the bride and the other family members Friday night for a quick rehearsal. They were determined to be on the alter, so I backed off and did my thing with my telephoto and let them have there way. The bride just called about 30 minutes ago panicking, wanting to know if my shots had turned out, the family that had cameras shots were all blurry and not worth printing for the most part(small point and shoots trying to focus quickly on shots in poor lighting......).

My stuff is not great by a long shot(I've got a good ways to go before I'm up to a point I would take a paid gig), but I think most of it is acceptable(I've seen worse go for 500$ a wedding...) for what I promised. The experience is absolutely worth its weight in gold, not just for the actual practice, but the understanding of what NOT to do(and what to do), what family will do, how the wedding will proceed, etc. etc.

There are one or two of you I may contact for some input on these shots, the bride has asked me not to post any of her on public access forums, but is agreeable to professionals viewing them for discussion purposes in a controllable way. I do have one of a bridesmaid I can post that might work....

I do know her shoe is cut off btw... it's a long story on these, I got in a hurry...

jesssingle1of1.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, nicely done! It's better to sit back quietly and let your work speak for itself. It will be interesting to see if the cousins have a change of heart now.

I think I scared them a little bit, I lit off a ten shot or so string during the rings and had half the audience staring at me ;).

I think I might could learn to enjoy shooting a wedding. I've been very uninterested, and a little intimidated, to do weddings until now. Despite the missteps I enjoyed myself though! If it wasn't so difficut to find clients.....

Most reactions

Back