I'm being asked to shoot a newborn series in a few weeks...but I'm not sure I'm ready

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anything special that I should know about this? I've never shot a newborn before except the birth of my own daughters, and I'm not sure the photos were anything of exceptional quality.

If you know my work, do you think I should take this on? I'm not even sure I'd be willing to charge for it, but maybe just shoot for free to get more experience.

Am I nuts?

I'm being asked to shoot a newborn series in a few weeks...but I'm not sure I'm ready

If you don't think you are ready there is nothing wrong with saying that and not taking the gig.

If you don't think you are ready there is nothing wrong with saying that and not taking the gig.

Agreed. I am not so boastful that I can't say I'm not ready. But, I'm also thinking this would be a great chance to shoot for free and get some more experience. My work does not suck, but I get a bit anxious when I'm shooting for somebody I do not know...

Here is my kid that I photographed recently...not bad, IMHO, but she's not a newborn.

9492219878_5fb1b7c73b_z.jpg
[/URL] Hearts & Hats 3 by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

And here is a newborn shot of my daughter at around 1 or 2 days old...

8368397966_9ee613e635_z.jpg
[/URL] Katelyn on Momma Chest-1 by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Are you doing it for free? Practice?

Are you doing it for free? Practice?

The woman is due in a few weeks. She asked a mutual friend if she knows of a photographer who could do some newborn shots, and she gave the woman my name.

I have not spoken to her, but I'd be comfortable doing it for free. Not sure I'd be comfortable charging for it.

Free seems to imply that perhaps less than good quality is acceptable... or that having no real idea what you're doing is OK - not that that's the case in your situation, but I don't get the freebie idea, if someone wants you to do a 'shoot' that seems to mean being paid by a client. Sure people will accept photos if they're free, saves them having to pay a photographer.

I've worked with babies, preemies etc., not as a photographer but that's been my field; be aware of safely and comfortably positioning the infant and you might want to ignore much of the positioning used that you might find online. Seriously - I've seen enough photos that seem to be using inappropriate ways to position a newborn done by photographers 'out there'.

Just make damn sure you can get the kid near a big window with indirect light (sheer curtains, lightly overcast day, or the sun simply not shining right through it). Then move the kid around ruthlessly. You got eyes, you can see when it's good. Then go click. Don't get fancy with lighting!

Newborns are one of the harder subjects to work with IMO. If your not ready I would not do it for someone you don't know, and charge them for it. That is just how I feel about it. I would practice on some friends newborns first. :)

Newborns are one of the harder subjects to work with IMO. If your not ready I would not do it for someone you don't know, and charge them for it. That is just how I feel about it. I would practice on some friends newborns first. :)

I think I agree with this. Imma pass this time...

I was planning to do a newborn shoot at the end of the month for my pastor's son and daughter-in-law, who are also good friends of mine. I just made it clear that I'd do them for free as a favor, but that should they want to make sure they have professional quality shots, they should hire someone.
They were fine with that plan. Unfortunately, that won't be happening though, as they lost the baby just last month...at 7 months pregnant, after a very healthy, problem-free pregnancy.

Just be upfront with the individual; tell them you'd be happy to do it, for the experience, but that you haven't shot any newborn photos except your own.

Oh. Yeah. My brain kinda forgot about the part where he said he didn't actually KNOW the people. I read "friend" and quit processing after that. Friend of a friend...I don't think I'd do that.

In reference to the quote below: I would have offered to do memorial photos for them (that is if you would have been comfortable with that). Those pictures will be priceless.

As for newborn pictures... toOP, I think those shots above shown of your own daughter are MUCH better than most people. It is obvious to me they were taken by someone who clearly knows what they were doing.

I was planning to do a newborn shoot at the end of the month for my pastor's son and daughter-in-law, who are also good friends of mine. I just made it clear that I'd do them for free as a favor, but that should they want to make sure they have professional quality shots, they should hire someone.
They were fine with that plan. Unfortunately, that won't be happening though, as they lost the baby just last month...at 7 months pregnant, after a very healthy, problem-free pregnancy.

Just be upfront with the individual; tell them you'd be happy to do it, for the experience, but that you haven't shot any newborn photos except your own.

To OP, I think those shots above shown of your own daughter are MUCH better than most people. It is obvious to me they were taken by someone who clearly knows what they were doing.

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the post. :mrgreen:

I agree with most of the posts above. Be upfront and tell them you aren't experience in newborns and shoot it- that's the only way you'll learn and get experience. Read as many books, tutorials, videos, as you want but first hand shooting/practice is the best. I never did one until this February and I think I got some decent results! Client (personal friend as well) ordered over 200 worth of prints.

ZMD_9379 by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

I think your best bet would be to contact the mother to be. Explain to her as you have us and see what she thinks. She is the client. You might very well surprise yourself.

Most reactions

Back